Tool and Raw Material Source

Precision Scale Model Engineering, PSME, is a vendor included in the "Vendors" category on NRG's site but I have not seen it mentioned in these forums.  It's a great resource for anything related to model building.  The catalog runs around 200 pages.  A very brief summary of their inventory includes power tools, power tool tooling (including a comprehensive inventory of steel and abrasive burrs, drill bits and end mills), hand tools, raw material, motors, gears and gear systems, miniature electrical components and pipe fittings.   All the tools and tooling, in fact everything in the catalog, is scaled for model-sized projects. 

The web site includes contact information only - psmescale.com.   A print catalog will set you back $12.00, refundable with the first order.  In my opinion, its worth 12 bucks just to look through the catalog. 

I've heard of PSME for decades. They supposedly have "the mother of all catalogs" for all things related to modeling. That said, they've got a single page website and no online catalog. Their website doesn't even mention their catalog. Like most, I expect, I've never felt like paying $12 for a mail order catalog. I can't for the life of me understand why a mail order company wouldn't at least have an online catalog in this day and age. It seems like a self-destructive business model! 

Bob:

Everything you have said is right, yet, that's how it is!  I go back 25 years with PSME and it has always been that way, except the catalog used to be $15.00.  If what you want is cataloged, but not in the right size, a call to the owner will put him to work finding it for you.

They need to sort the products online ...

the website its very poor and i think nobody going to pay even 1 dollar just to check some catalog ..

sorry but its like a jock ..

please update if they will do something with the website 

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

I understand that moving such a large product catalog online is a big task and paying someone to do it would not be cheap. However, they must be losing sales without an online presence. 

It might be nice if they at least gave the catalog price and how to order it on their website. That should be a minimum level of online service.

I still like printed catalogs because sometimes you see stuff you didn't know existed. I would spend $12 if it were easy to order.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

On the other hand, if they do a lot of business supplying the professional model making companies, as I believe they do, it may be that they can't be bothered dealing with "the riff raff" and really aren't looking to be selling to the same hobbyist market segment as, say, MicroMark or ModelExpo. I believe they have a well-established customer base with outfits like those that build architectural models and things like that. It's still a mystery how they survive in this day and age.