This is a bit of data that does not seem to rate being written down, back in the day.

One solid number is from the Warren and Falmouth contract in HASN.  The decks were to be Southern Yellow Pine and 40 feet long by 10" max wide.

This is not just any sort of Pine.  It is now near extinct and certainly nowhere near the size then. It was hard enough to turn nails.  I suspect that it was a species with a short term availability resource that steam powered saws getting to GA and SC made practical.  So 40' for decking = the outside upper limit and probably a lot shorter for most other times and other places.

For hull planking,  I use 20-25 feet for length.  That seems to be a sort of consensus here.  I can provide no reference and I did not originate it.

Now, if the choice is a short section near the bow or stern ..or middle to complete a strake, or fudge the length and go a bit longer, I vote cheat on the length.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

The simple answer is "as long as possible, without unnecessarily wasting wood," which is why you won't see it written down anywhere. The narrower the planks, the higher the quality of the build, so maximum width will sometimes be specified in the scantlings. Deck planks, being straight, tend to be longer. Hull planks, less so, because, depending upon their shapes, they can require wider stock proportionate to the width of a given plank. Other limitations are the species of wood, i.e. what stock can be gotten out of a tree in the first place, and how difficult it is to transport from the tree to the shipyard. The shipwright picks each piece carefully to achieve economy in the use of what's available. As Jaager notes, a plank much longer than around 25' would be somewhat unusual. 

Edited by Bob Cleek

One caveat here... In US, many times the planks were a lot longer as the wood supply was closer to the yards.  In France, the wood was moved to the yard by river so again.. many times the planks are longer than the English.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)