Local culture: What are some essential buildings, institutions, businesses, etc. to docks and shipyards before the 18th century?

Sperry

I'm currently interested in all that surrounds old ships and maritime culture. I'm attempting to represent to myself some typical elements of "local culture" in dock districts. For example, I found some clues reading Moby Dick, as there are references to customs offices, churches, restaurants and inns. I assume there must have been carpenters and blacksmiths in the district as well? What about translators?   What other key buildings, institutions, businesses were essential to docks? Thanks in advance!

Druxey, don't know about those in the 18th or 19th century, but could name a few from around the world in the 1960's  that I heard about from friends. 🤪

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 minutes ago, allanyed said:

that I heard about from friends. 🤪

Thin ice ahead, beware.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

18 minutes ago, Sperry said:

I'm currently interested in all that surrounds old ships and maritime culture. I'm attempting to represent to myself some typical elements of "local culture" in dock districts.

Hello Sperry, sorry to have so much fun with what is in fact a serious and fascinating subject. This is well worth looking at:

https://archive.org/details/chathamdockyards0000macd/mode/1up

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I hate to be the first to offer a serious answer but:  Go to page 2 of the Nautical/Naval History forum to Sperry's November 18, 2020 inquiry on a similar topic - lots of information there.  And recently there was a post on rope walks; exactly the sort of building you are inquiring about, but I can't find that post.

This was an age where work relied on muscle power, human and animal.  Where heavy lifting was required beyond the capability of humans, horses, mules and oxen were used.  I would, therefore, believe that there would be stables and pens to house these animals and haystacks to feed them.

Maybe not the part of the world that you are looking for, but the city of Karlskrona in Sweden is a world heritage site with lots of history. It is still a naval port, with modern shipyard, but a lot of the old buildings (one of the earliest dry docks, ropewalk building and so on) are still there - possible to visit with a guide (as I said, naval area - no free roaming around) Naval City of Karlskrona - World Heritage Sweden

The whole city is built for the naval port with wide streets (to parade through)

Take a look att google maps - satellite view.

Made my military service there in the seventies on the island of Kungsholmen - Kungsholms fort - a fortification at the Karlskrona inlet.

Can´t tell you about any brothels though......, but outside of that the city is well worth both some closer studies and maybe a visit

This is an interesting site  - also in english  Start | Världsarvet Örlogsstaden Karlskrona (orlogsstadenkarlskrona.se)

Edited by Shamrock
Added link