Schooner America

Mindi

I would like to build a model America.  I see that a recommenced Mamoli have a kit but the general opinion of Mamoli is so poor that does not appeal. I am way short of scratch build capability with only a Caldercraft Endeavour and an Amati Grand Banks to my name to date. Can anyone direct me to a well regarded kit ..?

Many Thanks....John 

ps..hope this is posted in the appropriate place.

10 minutes ago, Mindi said:

ps..hope this is posted in the appropriate place.

Almost -- I moved it for you. 😉

With regards to America, you have several options:

• BlueJacket makes two kits, one in 1/4" scale and the other in 1/8".
  • Dusek now own the Mamoli line of kits and still offer the 1/66 scale America. Daniel Dusek has been updating the kits as he re-releases them, so the Dusek version might be worth a second look.
  • Billing Boats offer one in 1/72 scale.
  • Model Shipways made one at some point, but I believe it is out of production. Examples might turn up on auction sites.

No matter which you choose, this project should be well within your abilities.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Constructo also makes a 1/56 model. There are several build logs of it here on MSW.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I am building the 1/48 (1/4" = 1 foot) Bluejacket America.   See the link in my signature below for the build log, to get an idea what is involved.  While it is a kit, I'd say it is a fairly advanced one.  Bluejacket ranks it an 8 on their 9-point difficulty scale.   Their smaller kit is quite a bit simpler, not just a scaled down version of the big kit.   If you have any questions about the larger Bluejacket kit I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Edited by gsdpic
correct typo

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

Gary...Thanks your reply.I have just finished reading right through your excellent log and love your build, congratulations. I am about to start Amati Fifie,but looking ahead to a more ambitious build after that and am tempted  by the America POF you have built.I am not quite clear from your early log posts how much actual cutting out you had to do,and whether it was from blank wood or predrawn..? You seemed to  have to do a fair bit of cutting of rabbets and ribs and carving of stern and bow pieces. So I would really value a better understanding of that.....having planked the Endeavour I am OK with the work after the frame is finished. Not saying I am world's best planker but Endeavour planks do a near right angle turn at the blunt bow so after that experience anything looks possible. I enclose a couple of Endeavour pics.

John

Mornington

Australia

IMG_20200421_170633.jpg

IMG_20200421_170638.jpg

Edited by Mindi

John....That Endeavour looks very impressive.  In the past I checked in on your Grand Banks build log and you've done a fantastic job with that as well.

As for my America, the first few pictures that show frames are pretty close to what comes out of the box.  Bluejacket creates a pre-carved hull then slices it like a loaf of bread, and puts every other frame into a kit, making two kits from one hull.   So the frames supplied in the kit are pretty close to the right shape and beveled, though you do need to do quite a bit of finer shaping and sanding to get everything fair and symmetrical.   The keel is just printed on quarter inch thick basswood and needs to be cut out and you need to carve the rabbet.   The bow and stern pieces are supplied pre-carved similar to the frames but also require quite a bit of shaping.   You can do more or less work on the frames, depending on if you plan to leave part of the deck or hull unplanked to show them.

The deck beams were all cut from a glued-up block of basswood, so you will need some sort of power saw for that.  I  used my scroll saw, though a hobby sized table saw would've been much better.  The deck furniture is just cut from thin mahogany sheets.  There are no laser cut parts at all.

But I'll say I have not done a lot of carving in the past, have not used chisels that frequently, and I managed to do it ok.  Just get one or two decent carving knives and a few good chisels if you don't already have them, and a way to sharpen them all and I am sure you'll be able to handle it.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry