HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat by Peanut6 - Artesania Latina Ref. 19004 - Scale: 1:25 - First build wooden ship

Hi Scotty

FWIW, there is no reason to have to use push pins or clamps for the planking if you pre-shape them via the method shown in the four part You Tube planking video by Chuck Passaro.  I realize the kit has precut strips so spiling is not an option if you use the wood they supply in the kit, otherwise that would also work well without pins or clamps.  This is the same for your launch as used for full hull planking, a little finger pressure for a minute with PVA or a few seconds if you prefer CA.    Just remember the planks need to taper so the end of every strake lands in the rabbet.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 7/9/2022 at 11:26 AM, Peanut6 said:

It was a few weeks ago that I secured my standing rigging.  I don’t think it turned out too bad for a first attempt, even though the top dead eyes are a bit twisted.  But I understand it is a natural occurrence, especially in my situation.  

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.31df3b9d65d1eb36ceb04db95279fc63.JPG

IMG_0735.thumb.JPG.18a5faf60a2faf5dc7c4a9d40f9dfcc8.JPG

IMG_0736.thumb.JPG.60f65cf1782cc57685b9f34f876d7a9a.JPG

IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.65568c5a4b45036a2251da4cfb09a157.JPG

IMG_0741.thumb.JPG.bd0d5b10873338ec09abd3e3c41795a3.JPG

IMG_0743.thumb.JPG.717eb830db448f7d1a2470913946a7c8.JPG

I started on the halyard rigging and sail installation.  I wanted so show the completed standing rigging and completed halyard rig in a single post.  My plan was to use hooks for my running rigging of the sails.  I wanted to serve and seize a loop for the halyard lift since the other rigging attaches to sail eyes.  In my “Dead eye Twist” thread I commented on my dissatisfaction in the kit supplied line and current inability to replace it.  And as such, decided to abandon my desire to use hooks for my running rigging because the supplied line couldn’t withstand my attempts of serving and seizing a loop for the halyard lift.  It was shortly after that post I was propositioned with the most gracious “Care Package” offer.  Ben, from “Ropes of Scale” read about decision due to my predicament and offered me samples of his 0.25mm, 0.35mm and 0.50mm line to help me out.  With the utmost gratitude and humility I accepted his offer and a week later received his envelope in the mail.  This being my first build, I could only guess at the improvement of the kit supplied line and his line based his web site photos vs what I was holding in my hands.  The difference between the kit supplied line and Ben’s line is like SPAM to a perfectly cooked porterhouse steak.  I couldn’t believe it, now I fully appreciate and understand all the posts I’ve read where the builder has already ordered new line even before the kit has arrived.  With this new line I was able to create the served/seized loop I so wanted and finished up my halyard and sail set up.

IMG_0730.thumb.JPG.91e239bd799823e7839cb948be62fa05.JPG

IMG_0731.thumb.JPG.812b065f22dc6f24e5d856880335c144.JPG

IMG_0729.thumb.JPG.14675f8351c1b2e0a3cf16037141c320.JPG

I’m going to redo my my standing rigging and stays using Ben’s line.  This will give me the opportunity to serve the standing rigging and stays prior to seizing them at the mast, which I forgot to do the first time around.  Also, from what I think I’ve learned from my “Dead eye Twist” post, I hope to reduce if not eliminate the twist of my top dead eyes.  Man that post got a ton of traction and a surprising amount of information came of it, so glad I asked.  And finally I can do my blocks correctly.  The photo’s don’t show it, but I attached my blocks upside down.  I learned this from reading another post here at MSW.  Probably nobody would have noticed unless I shared a picture at just the right angle, but I would know and that’s what counts.  So another situation of 1 step forward and 2 steps back for me.  But I feel very confident that I can redo the work in less actual time spent working and it will look a ton better due to Ben’s line.  Once again I must apologize about the photo quality, they always look nice and clear in the preview but sometimes come out a blurry.  I think I may go back to the camera I was first using, even though it eats batteries just for snacks, and see if they come out any better.

Didn’t know my blocks, which are still in the bag, had an upside-down, they look symmetrical to me but probably because the ones in my kit are not accurate.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:43 PM, Peanut6 said:

Thanks HHH, we were very lucky regarding the tree.  We lost 3 of the 4 major limbs of the main trunk.  With all due respect to the very skilled and brave people working in the lumber industry, I honestly don't think anyone of them could have done a better job than what Mother Nature did on her own.  Zero damage to any structure or plants, with minimal encroachment into the neighbor's yard.  For the second time, we were soooo very lucky with this tree.  We've decided to make it go away and replace it with a Red Maple.  I'll be posting pictures of my Jolly Boat when I've got the boat back to where she was prior to getting my new line.  Found more than a couple benefits to redoing the standing rigging.  I'll be adding the rings for the spanker to the mast prior to securing the rigging as I'm very sure it will be easier to get them closed back to proper shape after opening them up for the bolt rope rather than for the mast.  Opening them up is probably the wrong term, I'll be moving the ends of the rings laterally rather than spreading them apart.  Then there are all the blocks I seized backwards.  The hole goes on the top, not the bottom.  And hopefully I can do my dead eyes with minimal twist due to what I think I learned in my Dead Eye Twist question.  Probably won't see the boat till this weekend, kinda' forgot how drained one gets after a full work day.  Thanks again for all comments and reactions this build is getting and hope that just might help someone out in the future.      

A spanker? I have to keep referring to a nautical glossary to keep up with you. First build? I call them “pulley things” and “port notched thingy” and terms like that, but slowly learning. Ha ha. It’s retaining the info at my spring chicken almost 66 that gets me.

Scotty, thank you so much for all your posts and kind words.  It is greatly appreciated.  Your cleats turned out so much better than mine, nice job.  I also got the sweats thinking about using my Dremel for boring holes into my boat, so much so that I used a pin vise.  When I found that I was breaking bits because I couldn't keep it aligned and it wouldn't hold the smaller bits I just started using my fingers to turn the bit.  Wound up wrapping some painters tape on the shank just to have something to twist.  Looking into investing in a better pin vise.  I'm also looking at a cordless micro-drill but don't know which one  to get or even where to get one.  Regarding the blocks thing, once I found out I had it wrong I said to myself "Well of course, it makes perfect sense".  One of those things that an uneducated viewer wouldn't ever notice (just like my fouled up bottom gudgeons) but someone who knows the difference between a rudder and an udder (still love that line) would obviously notice.  A perfect example of my one step forward, two steps back process.  At least I get it right or get better results the second time around  ;)  Still not quite back in my happy place to get going again and complete my little Jolly Boat, but I feel it coming on.  Thanks again for stopping by. 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Just doing my best to deal with life as it presents itself.  I suppose I'm getting what I deserve for having such an "easy time under the circumstances" at the time when could/should have been much worse for the household.  Getting back on top of things, if not a little bit better, and taking a very slow approach to insure we aren't setting any land mines for ourselves in the future.  Hey, when all is said and done it all evens out and ones best hope is the lows don't force one to forget the highs that life presents.  Thanks for reaching out and you concern.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

10 minutes ago, Peanut6 said:

Just doing my best to deal with life as it presents itself.  I suppose I'm getting what I deserve for having such an "easy time under the circumstances" at the time when could/should have been much worse for the household.  Getting back on top of things, if not a little bit better, and taking a very slow approach to insure we aren't setting any land mines for ourselves in the future.  Hey, when all is said and done it all evens out and ones best hope is the lows don't force one to forget the highs that life presents.  Thanks for reaching out and you concern.  

You have an awesome attitude and outlook amigo!

Hello Kevin, glad to hear from you. Hope you get to building soon people here are missing you.  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Hi Kev, I’ve only just been catching up with your log and been enjoying your work. I hope you can find some time to do something on your model, even an hour or so concentrating on some little detail works wonders to leave your cares behind for a bit. 

Andrew

Edited by AJohnson

To say that I'm touched by all the kind words and encouragement would be an understatement.  Thank you for your concern.  All is good and I'll to spend more time here at MSW to be able to keep up with all your great work.  This could give me the itch I need to finish my little Jolly Boat, who knows?

Edited by Peanut6

Take care and be safe.

kev