HMS Sphinx 1775 by HardeeHarHar - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - V2

And so it begins.  Having arrived back to an empty dry dock in Durham, NC, it was time to fill the vacuum and put the shop to work.  I will do some research and try to add some helpful or informative content to this topic as time permits.  I will say that the kit arrived in a timely fashion, in perfect shape, well packaged and prepared for the builder.  It is a big box, and the parts all look to be of high quality.  The manual is spectacular in detail, and the pieces fit together with amazing precision.  Here is a sneak peak of my progress.

IMG_1736.thumb.jpeg.bae9e5d70366f7f37de2caf672f6ed65.jpeg

You're off to a great start, Brian, swimming in the deep end now...however, there are many life preservers nearby, so enjoy!😊

Seriously, this is a superb kit that will reward you every step of the way. 

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

This looks like such a great kit!  I'm going to pull up a chair and follow your built, Brian.  I'm looking forward to watching it come together.

Welcome aboard MattD, I'll be counting on you for your support and honest feedback.

15 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Brian, looking forward to seeing your progress with this one. 

Andrew, I'd be much less productive without your encouragement and assistance in my building.  You set the bar high in your builds and your forum participation.

5 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

You're off to a great start, Brian, swimming in the deep end now...however, there are many life preservers nearby, so enjoy!😊

Seriously, this is a superb kit that will reward you every step of the way. 

I have no fear, I know where you live, and I have access to the GuildFather's build log!  What could possibly go wrong!!!!  In all honesty, Chris sure does know how to make a great kit, and I am super happy to be following in the footsteps of such awesome previous builders.  With everyones support, I can most likely finish this thing in less than 10 years!!! 😃

4 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

With everyones support, I can most likely finish this thing in less than 10 years!!! 😃

What's the hurry, Brian?🤯

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Count me in, I really liked your work in the past ,  I am going to start my Pegasus soon, I figure 5 to 7 years for it look at the fun we are going to have ship mates for ever lol       :cheers: 

Edited by Knocklouder
Yep typos 😒

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

9 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Count me in, I really liked your work in the past ,  I am going to start my Pegasus soon, I figure 5 to 7 years for it look at the fun we are going to have ship mates for ever lol       :cheers: 

oh yes good start lol

Edited by Knocklouder
typos of course

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

I'm interested to follow your progress on this - it is on my list of 'maybe the next build' ......

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

18 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

Bahahaha, I am ready for at least another 5 to 7 years.  Bring it!  Also, i am going to be in Toronto soon, ey!  Look out Canada....

11 hours ago, jpalmer1970 said:

I'm interested to follow your progress on this - it is on my list of 'maybe the next build' ......

Welcome aboard.  I may not make the fastest progress by far, but that won't be because of the kit.  It is awesome.  What is also awesome is Penrith.  I have been so fortunate as to visit the Blue Mountains a few years ago.  You certainly live in a beautiful part of the world!

I am just about to glue things down and let it sit overnight:

IMG_1738.thumb.jpeg.2a12b9a2c814a985cf9eee9856b147ee.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all the US MSWers, and greetings and best regards to everyone else in the community.  I had  a couple of presentations to give recently, so my time had been focused primarily on work and slides for the last few months.  I am glad that is done for a while, and am now delighted that I can take just a wee bit of time to focus on making some progress on the Sphinx build while away from HMBV Granado.  I'll reiterate what everyone already knows, the Vanguard Sphinx kit is superb, and makes building a model ship a real pleasure.  The only tricky part I have run into is getting the gun deck settled into place, which took some sanding and swearing, but once it snapped into place I knew I had succeeded.  I've got some sanding to do now.....but I am pleased to have things moving in the right direction.  Here is a quick pic of where things stand at present.  I hope everyone is doing well and want to extend my thanks for stopping by and taking a look.  This community is an awesome positive reinforcer for beginner modelers like me and I appreciate that a lot.  Cheers all.

BTIMG_2262(1).thumb.jpeg.18f5022916a8fce394c75813e46a1280.jpeg

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Chris Watton at Vanguard is so clever he includes safety gates parts whose entire purpose is to reinforce areas that are prone to big thumbs.  However, I must admit, I had a wee bit of an mdf framing part succumb to the brute force of my fingers.  It was going to have to be removed much later, but lets just say I "jumped ahead" =/

Sorry Chris, **it happens, even to the best of designs when I get involved 😃