Harvey 1847 by jfesterman - Artesania Latina - 1:50

I’m not super happy with it, but the rudder is mounted.  Definitely tired of fiddling around with it!  Catsheads, hawse holes, and belaying pin racks installed.  Mast holes too.  Planning a dowel tapering jig.  When I have a working prototype, I’ll post some photos.

9D12620F-2E84-4360-8FF9-0214AD91AFB2.jpeg

EB1C33E0-471E-4D19-AF85-FAA08B020DA9.jpeg

70126BA7-BFE4-4C33-A917-1688F8C4A624.jpeg

8EE1A851-FEBF-47B0-A768-51634A066698.jpeg

BEE5D286-149F-4CDF-B717-0E57E981EE70.jpeg

- James

Current build: Harvey

6 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Gawd I remember building this kit when I was stuck in New York for months on a long project  -that must have been at least 30 years ago.

I think I remember the wood wasnt very good even then !! 

But I liked the old AL kits - I have been looking for years for another "Liberty

ARTESANIA LATINA LIBERTY CLIPPER WOODEN MODEL SHIP KIT ...

so i can  bequeath a matched set to my grandsons ( an also correct some of the glaring errors from the first time round!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293563503023?hash=item4459bf91af:g:K6AAAOSwHmNZvHEl

- James

Prototype 1 of dowel tapering jig.  Two one-by boards with 80 grit adhered w/ spray adhesive.  Main and fore masts are 10 mm and need to taper to 6 mm over a 30mm (or so) span..  Block at the top is 6 mm, block at the bottom is 10 mm.  Chuck in the drill and SLOWLY run it through until it comes out the other end.  I made a shorter version for the spars.  The original vision in my head was something more permanent, affixed to a plank, with carriage bolts and wing nuts, etc.  Would have been way more complicated and required a trip to the hardware store.  So far, working fine.  Unfortunately, it’s really noisy and my son’s trying to sleep in the next room.  Maybe I’ll wait a little while to finish these up.  

Nah…

Side note, I had this idea before I found a similar example in another MSW forum, which used paint stirring sticks, which in my opinion, might work ok for spars, but definitely not strong enough for these bokapi (?) masts.  His original idea was linked in his post to a Polish model ship building forum.  Here it is:  

9EC9336D-8DB1-445F-B911-4B4C84BAD9F4.jpeg

Edited by jfesterman

- James

On 5/28/2021 at 1:22 PM, jfesterman said:

Prototype 1 of dowel tapering jig.  Two one-by boards with 80 grit adhered w/ spray adhesive.  Main and fore masts are 10 mm and need to taper to 6 mm over a 30mm (or so) span..  Block at the top is 6 mm, block at the bottom is 10 mm.  Chuck in the drill and SLOWLY run it through until it comes out the other end.  I made a shorter version for the spars.  The original vision in my head was something more permanent, affixed to a plank, with carriage bolts and wing nuts, etc.  Would have been way more complicated and required a trip to the hardware store.  So far, working fine.  Unfortunately, it’s really noisy and my son’s trying to sleep in the next room.  Maybe I’ll wait a little while to finish these up.  

Nah…

Side note, I had this idea before I found a similar example in another MSW forum, which used paint stirring sticks, which in my opinion, might work ok for spars, but definitely not strong enough for these bokapi (?) masts.  His original idea was linked in his post to a Polish model ship building forum.  Here it is:  

9EC9336D-8DB1-445F-B911-4B4C84BAD9F4.jpeg

Well, the 6 mm stock was no match for the jig.  I snapped the main boom twice!  Good news is, with a furled sail on it, you’ll never see the repairs.  Shorter lengths of the 6 mm stock faired better, like the jib boom, gaffs and mast tops.  I ended up shaping the 4 mm stock mostly by hand.  The lower fore yard will just have to be about a cm short…  don’t tell anyone.  I’m glad I made the sanding blocks anyway, they came in handy even for hand shaping.  

- James

J Brent’s videos on YouTube made rigging the spars much easier today.  Not sure if that fella’s still with us, but man, he pulled me out of a dark place.  Much of the frustration of yesterday had to do with threading those little parrels.  Pick one up, drop it, pick it up, five times.  Pick up another and pew!  Gone forever.  Still, I think I only lost 2.

8C9A9C00-E374-4D59-A074-E004BE4231F9.jpeg

- James

• 6 months later...

Just found this thread, any updates? I have the same Harvey, that I purchased in 1985. Still in the original UPS shipping box. The version of Harvey that I have, contains all the bit and pieces in little plastic bags. I thought I was the only one squirreling kits away for when I would finally have the time to build them. I especially enjoy your pictures and references to other modelers that have built the Harvey, or in this case "Hanna". Following this with much interest, please keep up the great work.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks, Hannah is on hold for a while.  Thanks for sticking with me, as you all know hobbies can take a back seat to life sometimes.  I’m ok, everything is good, I just had to dismantle part of the shipyard to concentrate on a different mission.  I hope to get back to it soon.

- James

• 5 months later...

I have recently obtained an 1847 Harvey 1:50 scale kit. However, the kit is old and used and incomplete. From what I can tell, the pieces that are missing are the wooden sheets that contain the framework of the hull. These pieces are not available from the manufacturer any more as this kit is no longer in production. If I could get a copy of the scale drawing of these pieces I have the ability to recreate them myself. I don't know if the original kit came with a scale drawing but if it did I don't have it. I would dearly love to put this kit together. It would be my first attempt at a wooden ship. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Welcome to MSW Earl.  Maybe post a little intro about yourself in the new member forum.

As this is your first project of a wooden ship model, I would start with a good quality kit instead.  Pick one that will also teach you proper techniques.  Study the various build logs and give serious consideration to what is probably the best starter kits ever designed, the three vessel series from Model Shipways designed by David Antscherl.   There are build logs here at MSW on these vessels that will also get you through any hurdles you need to jump as you move along.

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Jfesterman, I'm currently working on the Harvey. My first wooden model. It really is a fun build so far. I'm up to the part where I start planking. 

Current Wood Builds

HMS Victory Cross Section 

Future Wood Builds

18th Century Longboat-Model Shipways

America Cup Endeavour Kit-Amati

1/50 san Fransisco II Cross Section- Artesania Latina

1910 American Fishing Schooner Elsie-Model Shipways

1/100 Korean Turtle Warship

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 12:14 AM, Earl K. said:

I have recently obtained an 1847 Harvey 1:50 scale kit. However, the kit is old and used and incomplete. From what I can tell, the pieces that are missing are the wooden sheets that contain the framework of the hull. These pieces are not available from the manufacturer any more as this kit is no longer in production. If I could get a copy of the scale drawing of these pieces I have the ability to recreate them myself. I don't know if the original kit came with a scale drawing but if it did I don't have it. I would dearly love to put this kit together. It would be my first attempt at a wooden ship. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I’ll see what I have.  Scanning and posting while maintaining scale, might be a trick, but if I have them, I’ll give it a go.

- James

• 3 months later...

Your Harvey is coming out strong, I got mine from someone and don't know if there are 2 full sheets of plans or more but the ones I have are of the masts and spars and the side you have shown of the side of the ship , they aren't in very good shape as they look like they've been folded a couple of a hundred times. One side has a big broken spot and don't know what I should do, fix it the best I can or hate to say it, scrap it, any ideas?

On 11/5/2022 at 8:50 PM, dbharmon64 said:

Your Harvey is coming out strong, I got mine from someone and don't know if there are 2 full sheets of plans or more but the ones I have are of the masts and spars and the side you have shown of the side of the ship , they aren't in very good shape as they look like they've been folded a couple of a hundred times. One side has a big broken spot and don't know what I should do, fix it the best I can or hate to say it, scrap it, any ideas?

You have all the parts, just missing some of the plans?

- James