I am looking for books or articles that clearly describe--and even better if there are accompanying good photos or drawings--how to lift from plans and then loft that info. into drawing, or other similar, software. I eventually want to go to the dark side and scratch build; right now I am thinking that I'd like to break into that area of model shipbuilding by starting with converting a couple of solid hull kits to POBs.

Currently I have both volumes of Underhill's Plank on Frame books, but found him a bit difficult to follow due to the lack of photos/pics--I just learn better on some things when I have visuals and this is one of those areas for me. I just found and last night purchased reasonably priced copies of Hahn's Colonial Schooner & Ships of the American Revolution but have no idea yet of how in-depth they go into lifting and lofting. Also, given when both of these were written, I doubt these go into translating lifted data into software; however, I don't think that part of the process will be hard to figure out as long as I clearly understand the process of how to lift and loft.

Since a lot of both new and used model shipbuilding books are available to me only through the Internet, it's a drag buying a book sight unseen and then discovering it doesn't contain the information I'm really after. To avoid some of that, I figured I throw my question/request out here on the forum and see what is recommended.

Thanks for your time, help, and suggestions! :)

Jay

Current Build:

Jay,

Have you looked here: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php ? Most of the articles relate to CAD.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Howard Chapelle's Boatbuilding has a chapter devoted to the process of lofting a boat through each phase of developing the lines. It has drawings that take you through each part of the lofting process.

Russ

Jay, over at Modelshipbuilder.com, at the home page look for "Projects", click on it then at the bottom of the list of projects is the Eagle build.  Click on that, below the Eagle picture  it says "click here for practicum", click it and starting at Chapter one there is an excellent article on lofting.

I think you will find it most helpful

Tom

Tom, many thanks! :) I just scrolled through the lifting and lofting section and saved the practicum. Bodnar's instructions and images look great; between him and Chapelle, I think I'll grasp the drafting. Reading, seeing images, and doing will be how I'll "get" it. Once I fully understand the process, doing it in a software program should'nt be too brutal--then it'll just be learning software rather than both.

Thanks for your help fellas--most appreciated!

Jay

Current Build:

Not sure what I'll use yet, Joe. Will do some forum research to find out likes and dislikes, along with talk to a few folks. It'll be a while yet before I start going down the scratch road--still need a few big-ticket tools; also want to get more building skills under my belt using kits before I tackle a scratch project. At this point, I'm building and gathering resources and setting intentions for where I want to go . :)

Jay

Current Build:

• 1 year later...

I just finished lofting the Eagle following Gene's practicum. I used DeltaCAD on my Mac laptop. Very easy to use. Does not do 3D but I was not looking for that. There is a PC version as well. It retails for about $40 I believe. Well worth the time and effort.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli