Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

Vladimir, thanks for the compliment on my Wheelhouse efforts, it's greatly appreciated. 

On another topic. I found a reference to the Sailors' lodging being in the Bow of the ship, below deck under the forecastle. Ironically I rediscovered it while trying to get more details for George K's "Flying Fish" build. This is directly from Duncan MacLean's "Boston Daily Atlas" November 4, 1851. 

"She has a top gallant forecastle the height of the main rail [which was 4 & 1/2'], and in the wings are companions, which lead to the sailors' quarters below; and before the companions are water closets, and along the sides lockers, etc. The accommodations for the crew occupy the angle of the bow, are lofty, well lighted, and ventilated."

Now I don't know about you but to me a height of 4 & 1/2 feet isn't lofty, not even in the 1850s! So, unless the crew of the "Flying Fish" were all midgets, which is total nonsense, their lodgings were downstairs, probably 3 feet, so that their lodgings would be 7 & 1/2 feet high.

In a similar way, the same slight drop in "GLORY of the SEAS" would have resulted in 8 foot high barracks under the Forecastle.

1 hour ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, thanks for the compliment on my Wheelhouse efforts, it's greatly appreciated. 

On another topic. I found a reference to the Sailors' lodging being in the Bow of the ship, below deck under the forecastle. Ironically I rediscovered it while trying to get more details for George K's "Flying Fish" build. This is directly from Duncan MacLean's "Boston Daily Atlas" November 4, 1851. 

"She has a top gallant forecastle the height of the main rail [which was 4 & 1/2'], and in the wings are companions, which lead to the sailors' quarters below; and before the companions are water closets, and along the sides lockers, etc. The accommodations for the crew occupy the angle of the bow, are lofty, well lighted, and ventilated."

Now I don't know about you but to me a height of 4 & 1/2 feet isn't lofty, not even in the 1850s! So, unless the crew of the "Flying Fish" were all midgets, which is total nonsense, their lodgings were downstairs, probably 3 feet, so that their lodgings would be 7 & 1/2 feet high.

In a similar way, the same slight drop in "GLORY of the SEAS" would have resulted in 8 foot high barracks under the Forecastle.

Great info Rich, much appreciated. Im going to check IT. Im sure i dont need to change anything forecastle IS ok main i forgot one important thing that fooled me probably from Michaels book photo with the ňou takej from very atď facing forward. I forgot that bow IS Well Raider so fór that seemed to me that fcastle IS almost front Canin Bright which IT surely cant be..:) now something Actual progress...

IMG_20210929_130239.jpg

IMG_20210929_130333.jpg

Vlad...looking very nice.  you're capturing her beauty for sure.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Vladimir, two observations: 

(1st) and perhaps most jarring to me at least, is that the word "Boston" is slightly misaligned. In previous pictures, it sat perfectly parallel to the molding below. Since it's so golden & beautiful, being crooked like it is now only draws the wrong type of attention to it and detracts from the overall lovely impression. 

(2nd) very nice job on the Wheelhouse. The recessed areas would have been painted "pearl." Incidentally we do have an example of that shade. In his massive oil of the "Flying Fish" James Buttersworth illustrates her pearl Bulwarks. It's a lovely very light off white shade of beige. 

20210927_090840.jpg

On 9/27/2021 at 12:02 PM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Few exciting news ( at least for me). 

Advice fór Using tápe was best oné ever. Thanks folks. Its cleanest work of All . Enjoyed IT enormously. I sheathed one side in two  goes two  Evenings. But ran out of tape. I cant emphasis enough how overal look of vessel changed towards shipshape breauty. She will soon be ready to dance. :)

meanwhile i got small rail Columns and im over the moon for them how beautifull and close they are to original. I still have plenty bigger ones to diminish so i decided to finish another side od  copper first as i Can turn her over and rails Will be after touch. 

so that from me fór a while im Working on small buildings but IT Will také some more  time for sure....

hope you enjoy pics. V. 

IMG_20210927_091631.jpg

Cooper looks great. Did you do that one plate at a time?!

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, either you'll tire of my observations or continue to appreciate them. Your Wheelhouse roof needs to extend 2-3' scale feet in front for sheltering overhang and twin corner brackets to mount underneath. Beautiful job on the skylight however. 

oh yes i completely frogot them brackets...vrrr vrrr.lets revise tmw :) 

Hello,

Pics spam  from recent update...IT s getting bloody crowded there. All handmade pieces. That railing Columns are PAIN! Did i say pita? Yes. Its so sloww... decided to bore upper rail Columns Down to the floor AS its on real vessel. thanks much.

Its still pretty lonely on the ship i miss some figurines there yet. 

vy the way im pretty close to wrap ať this point. Cant believe.  this IS the state i wanted her to display. Hull and complete wooden installations on vessel finished in All her wooden Glory , and No other equipment. Soon to celebrate.  :)

V. 

IMG_20211001_171731.jpg

IMG_20211001_171806.jpg

IMG_20211001_172711.jpg

IMG_20211001_172820.jpg

IMG_20211001_172753.jpg

IMG_20211001_173005.jpg

IMG_20211001_172949.jpg

IMG_20211001_173223.jpg

IMG_20211001_173022.jpg

IMG_20211001_173632.jpg

IMG_20211001_173656.jpg

IMG_20211001_173831.jpg

IMG_20211001_173737.jpg

IMG_20211001_171603.jpg

IMG_20211001_171517.jpg

IMG_20211001_171423.jpg

IMG_20211001_171502.jpg

IMG_20211001_171417.jpg

IMG_20211001_171718.jpg

IMG_20211001_171631.jpg

IMG_20211001_171523.jpg

IMG_20211001_163713.jpg

IMG_20211001_163013.jpg

IMG_20211001_163033.jpg

IMG_20211001_162942.jpg

IMG_20211001_162845.jpg

IMG_20211001_123741.jpg

IMG_20211001_113305.jpg

IMG_20210930_165504.jpg

IMG_20210930_112737.jpg

IMG_20210930_102527.jpg

Wonderful progress Vlad…….for sure.   So many elements it’s dizzying.    

I’ve learned so many small details myself.  One,  that the bumkin’s are square on deck but are turned round once they exit the hull.  Kinda like the bowsprit.   

You are closing in on you final days of construction, if you are going to follow your plan of just making a hull model with stub masts.  
 Are you going to add the dead eyes and chainplates,  or stop there?  

Will you be adding David’s and boats too?

I plan on fully completing her……..so I have a very long way to go.

You have done masterfully thus far and you should be proud.  Wonderful, just wonderful.   

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Glad,  it’s amazing how we are not that far from the same place in construction of our respective builds.    

It’s fun to see our progress is right on track.  And to think we are half way around the world from each other.   

Rob

F50BACD2-4009-41FB-85D4-8BB367B1EC49.jpeg

076329C0-888D-45EA-BF9D-E451ADF4DE11.jpeg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

8 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Glad,  it’s amazing how we are not that far from the same place in construction of our respective builds.    

It’s fun to see our progress is right on track.  And to think we are half way around the world from each other.   

Rob

F50BACD2-4009-41FB-85D4-8BB367B1EC49.jpeg

076329C0-888D-45EA-BF9D-E451ADF4DE11.jpeg

Exactly Rob. thanks for comments, as far as your build, i will watch with joy how all masting splendor adds up...your is very cllassy color consistent you clearly know what you are doing every single step. that middle frame of window must be hair thin. hair! 

I wont go further not even davits or boats as I consider those added equipment not fastened element. looks like i will soon photo her as was my original plan and im even  beyond. to get her hull done  as on famous shipyard photo...

so im close to raising a flag on her swing the bottle and let McKays daughter christen her. still important part as rudder, finish rail and one side to copper though in front of me.... . and little surprise to the bow :) :)   :) . its strange feeling two years back when I was looking first time in mi life at photos of american clippers in awe, dreaming one day i should try to build one from the kit. never built one american before ending up joined constructing Glory of the seas from scratch was long learning fun journey, altogether ...

and even in the paperwork there were a moments i thought it may end up disastrous ( on my side)  up to the point I was half planking and raising up feom the waterline i was still pretty nervous how bow rake would appear...:)) but with your company it was well conducted like a man leading fine orchestra :)) 

stop  now as i must seem sound like weeping lady,  story still continues....we are not there yet. we know the miss glory pretty  well at this point dont we ? :) 

40 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Exactly Rob. thanks for comments, as far as your build, i will watch with joy how all masting splendor adds up...your is very cllassy color consistent you clearly know what you are doing every single step. that middle frame of window must be hair thin. hair! 

I wont go further not even davits or boats as I consider those added equipment not fastened element. looks like i will soon photo her as was my original plan and im even  beyond. to get her hull done  as on famous shipyard photo...

so im close to raising a flag on her swing the bottle and let McKays daughter christen her. still important part as rudder, finish rail and one side to copper though in front of me.... . and little surprise to the bow :) :)   :) . its strange feeling two years back when I was looking first time in mi life at photos of american clippers in awe, dreaming one day i should try to build one from the kit. never built one american before ending up joined constructing Glory of the seas from scratch was long learning fun journey, altogether ...

and even in the paperwork there were a moments i thought it may end up disastrous ( on my side)  up to the point I was half planking and raising up feom the waterline i was still pretty nervous how bow rake would appear...:)) but with your company it was well conducted like a man leading fine orchestra :)) 

stop  now as i must seem sound like weeping lady,  story still continues....we are not there yet. we know the miss glory pretty  well at this point dont we ? :) 

Glad.   I remember our first conversation about building a Donald McKay clipper. It is so fun to watch how this has all evolved.I remember our first conversation about building a Donald McKay clipper. It is so fun to watch how this has all evolved.

I see your plan now that you want to build her as she was originally on the Ways at Donald McKays shipyard. No add one’s,  no auxiliary things, just Glory, ready to be launched.   

splendid!

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Vladimir, it's truly amazing how two models, in two different scales end looking so remarkably similar to each other. It's a tribute to the modeling skills of you and Rob. Before you pop the bubbly for the completion of your Hull build, there's the little matter of a companion way entrance to the rear of the Carriage House. From Mike's floor plan layout, you can see where the original companion way would have been. Located on the Port rear, from his other ship's lines, it appears to be 5' deep, probably 3' high above the Carriage House deck by 3' wide. It most likely would have had thin double doors and an angled sliding top too.

20211002_153549.jpg

Edited by ClipperFan
additional information

Here is what I did with my first glory.  

Rob

1830AF17-03F4-45C1-A2FB-AFD00C43B233.jpeg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

On 10/2/2021 at 4:31 PM, rwiederrich said:

Here is what I did with my first glory.  

Rob

1830AF17-03F4-45C1-A2FB-AFD00C43B233.jpeg

Rob, a laudable effort, nicely done. Unfortunately it also highlighted the limitations of the Revell Cutty Sark hull filling in for the far more substantial Glory one. You get an A+ for innovative thinking. I don't believe anyone else has ever tried modifying the CS Hull for an American Clipper before. This effort is what first led me to you also.

Vladimir, here's my sketch of the rear companion way entrance to the Rear Carriage House. It's still in process but only since the final shape of the  turned pedastals isn't quite satisfactory yet. Since there's no photographic evidence of this particular structure, I've gone with a style that echoes that of her front fascia. Most companions had duel opening doors and the top would slide up and back. Like the skylights, I figure this structure too would offer benefit of glass behind venetian blind type natural wood. Since I saw the lower embellishment on the rear of the House, I've included them on the entire back of the house as well. 

20211003_221627.jpg

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Rob, a laudable effort, nicely done. Unfortunately it also highlighted the limitations of the Revell Cutty Sark hull filling in for the far more substantial Glory one. You get an A+ for innovative thinking. I don't believe anyone else has ever tried modifying the CS Hull for an American Clipper before. This effort is what first led me to you also.

I tried to follow Mike’s images the best I could, but I didn’t have half the images we have now.  Plus the only large hull available was the Revell CS.   So I attempted to correct the most glaring issues, namely the cut water and the angle of the bow……. plus by adding an ample top gallant rail to heighten her sides.    I had to live with the incorrect dead rise of the CS hull.

So much to modify to maker her remotely accessible to pass off as Glory of the Seas.   

Those experimental days are behind me.  The old model will remain until the new one will replace her and the artifacts will be transferred to her display.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, here's my sketch of the rear companion way entrance to the Rear Carriage House. It's still in process but only since the final shape of the  turned pedastals isn't quite satisfactory yet. Since there's no photographic evidence of this particular structure, I've gone with a style that echoes that of her front fascia. Most companions had duel opening doors and the top would slide up and back. Like the skylights, I figure this structure too would offer benefit of glass behind venetian blind type natural wood. Since I saw the lower embellishment on the rear of the House, I've included them on the entire back of the house as well. 

20211003_221627.jpg

Rich your sketches  are really tempting me to rework carriagehouse sides and back to panelled homogenous structure!!! 

aaaargh...:))) 

Few more Updates of news and revisions...Still lots of work on back. 

Wheelhouse got New proper pearl coat. 

Some way out  at the back of Carriagehouse Made...

Updated entire Carriagehouse with "paneling"

Windows got underneath so got another dimension and paneling is only suggested but i think its sufficient enough. To me at least. :)

Carriagehouse rail Will go Down AS its still out of scale- very high. New Columns Will be another 2 mm smaller and nicer. Just an idea. Its suppose to be reaching trousers off Working men as on photographs so IT must be exactly 10 mm of height iny scale If that rail IS not changed over the years. Thor size should be approx size pf Windows. Slightly Higher columns than on poopdeck.  :)

IMG_20211004_181845.jpg

IMG_20211004_112437.jpg

IMG_20211004_103152.jpg

IMG_20211004_103059.jpg

IMG_20211004_103045.jpg

IMG_20211003_191557.jpg

IMG_20211003_191209.jpg

IMG_20211003_191152.jpg

IMG_20211003_191033.jpg

IMG_20211003_190925.jpg

IMG_20211003_190753.jpg

Man Vlad...you are cooking.  So many mods and installs, its amazing.  I like the carriage house upgrade....it will be amazing when you are finished.

I also noticed the boy house addition in one image......

Any pics of that and the main cabin together?

I'd love to see the ship in its entirety if possible.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

6 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Few more Updates of news and revisions...Still lots of work on back. 

Wheelhouse got New proper pearl coat. 

Some way out  at the back of Carriagehouse Made...

Updated entire Carriagehouse with "paneling"

Windows got underneath so got another dimension and paneling is only suggested but i think its sufficient enough. To me at least. :)

Carriagehouse rail Will go Down AS its still out of scale- very high. New Columns Will be another 2 mm smaller and nicer. Just an idea. Its suppose to be reaching trousers off Working men as on photographs so IT must be exactly 10 mm of height iny scale If that rail IS not changed over the years. Thor size should be approx size pf Windows. Slightly Higher columns than on poopdeck.  :)

IMG_20211004_181845.jpg

IMG_20211004_112437.jpg

IMG_20211004_103152.jpg

IMG_20211004_103059.jpg

IMG_20211004_103045.jpg

IMG_20211003_191557.jpg

IMG_20211003_191209.jpg

IMG_20211003_191152.jpg

IMG_20211003_191033.jpg

IMG_20211003_190925.jpg

IMG_20211003_190753.jpg

Vladimir, beautiful work on detailing your Carriage House, it really gives an impression of how elaborately detailed Glory was. An immediate issue I noticed is that your Companionway is too short. The total height is 6 feet, equally divided above and below the 3 foot height of the Carriage House. My estimate for the turned rails which surround the Carriage House roof is 2 & 1/2 feet, or 30 inches. At that height, the rails would be 6 inches below the Companionway. As it sits now, the rails appear to go right over it, which makes no sense from a constructional viewpoint. Otherwise your work is continually impressive.

7 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, beautiful work on detailing your Carriage House, it really gives an impression of how elaborately detailed Glory was. An immediate issue I noticed is that your Companionway is too short. The total height is 6 feet, equally divided above and below the 3 foot height of the Carriage House. My estimate for the turned rails which surround the Carriage House roof is 2 & 1/2 feet, or 30 inches. At that height, the rails would be 6 inches below the Companionway. As it sits now, the rails appear to go right over it, which makes no sense from a constructional viewpoint. Otherwise your work is continually impressive.

7 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Thanks for comments folks, likes included. 

Youre right Rich, its not completed yet, it will be higher few things are missing there. also platform etc. will worktoday on it. 

@ Rob. i will post overall pics littel house included. 

naked Goddess under white toga blanket above her knees so Her erotic feminine shape IS not covered....i cannot believe how small She IS in real. Some pics are macros. Decoupage used to produce as natural veil of toga ....with thin rice paper.Body and hands shaped under flameTHick Wet spray used to smooth 3d printed body to create smooth white resblance of Wood /stone sculptures...

IMG_20211007_185433.jpg

IMG_20211007_185426.jpg

IMG_20211007_185406.jpg

IMG_20211007_185303.jpg

IMG_20211007_185556.jpg

IMG_20211007_185533.jpg

IMG_20211007_185421.jpg

IMG_20211007_185515.jpg

IMG_20211007_185354.jpg

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
Add

Vladimir, when you noticed how tiny your figurehead was you were right. Comparing where the head of your model ends with these two images of the Athene figurehead on Glory herself shows that yours is much too small. On your model, your figure's head is still below the tips of the naval hoods above her. On the actual vessel, Glory's head of the Grecian Goddess is ahead of and slightly above those naval hoods. Observe closely, you can see her forehead aligns neatly between band #3 & #4 on the bowsprit above. Also, it's hard to tell from her missing right arm but originally she held the top of her toga in her down turned right hand which causes a loop in the formation of the figurehead herself. This is a critical section of your model, deserving extra attention as it's the lovely figurehead gracing the bow which completes Glory's beautiful look.

20210309_072220.jpg

20210321_185200.jpg

16 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, when you noticed how tiny your figurehead was you were right. Comparing where the head of your model ends with these two images of the Athene figurehead on Glory herself shows that yours is much too small. On your model, your figure's head is still below the tips of the naval hoods above her. On the actual vessel, Glory's head of the Grecian Goddess is ahead of and slightly above those naval hoods. Observe closely, you can see her forehead aligns neatly between band #3 & #4 on the bowsprit above. Also, it's hard to tell from her missing right arm but originally she held the top of her toga in her down turned right hand which causes a loop in the formation of the figurehead herself. This is a critical section of your model, deserving extra attention as it's the lovely figurehead gracing the bow which completes Glory's beautiful look.

20210309_072220.jpg

20210321_185200.jpg

Thanks Rich. Its still little bit complicated than that. 

We Can argue indefinitely about importance of figurehead but i dáte say its pretty much Eastern effort in these scale od clipper. There IS no possibility get any decent looking detail there unless properly 3d draw and print.

I was All over figurehead before, but i changed mind recently. Even cutty sark Revell plastic figure IS useless in my opinion....

What i focused was proper female body proportions and outcome.even 3 mm Higher and Lega properly laid on both pedestals, ...having her properly dressed in that thing is torture....

Its not botheringe at All at this point ať least i tried :) one Can FOCUS on different things. V. 

3 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich. Its still little bit complicated than that. 

We Can argue indefinitely about importance of figurehead but i dáte say its pretty much Eastern effort in these scale od clipper. There IS no possibility get any decent looking detail there unless properly 3d draw and print.

I was All over figurehead before, but i changed mind recently. Even cutty sark Revell plastic figure IS useless in my opinion....

What i focused was proper female body proportions and outcome.even 3 mm Higher and Lega properly laid on both pedestals, ...having her properly dressed in that thing is torture....

Its not botheringe at All at this point ať least i tried :) one Can FOCUS on different things. V. 

Vlad...I'm assuming your efforts to have her printed are not on the table any longer?

No problem...like you said, you put for the effort and you tried.  that is all one can expect of themselves...and why should anyone expect any different.

From some of your photos, I can see all the houses represented....di you ever get a full shot so I can see how she is looking thus far?

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

37 minutes ago, rwiederrich said:

Vlad...I'm assuming your efforts to have her printed are not on the table any longer?

No problem...like you said, you put for the effort and you tried.  that is all one can expect of themselves...and why should anyone expect any different.

From some of your photos, I can see all the houses represented....di you ever get a full shot so I can see how she is looking thus far?

Rob

I Will post today. Finally finishing house rail which gave me month struggle. 

:) She IS 3 D printed. But just a figure so i had to tweak hands and Legs to position....but naked figure. I thought IT Will be easier to dress her Up. Anyway. 

Already mali by rudder ! :) V.