Glory of the Seas 1869 by Vladimir_Wairoa - FINISHED - 1:72 - medium clipper

48 minutes ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

IMG_20210925_162721.jpg

Vladimir that's just beautiful! I'm working on the elaborate flowery embellishment carvings which would have originally run above her name. The challenge is to capture the spirit of the lovely work and echo that on the Cutwater arch while at the same time not overwhelming the proud name & city of location she originally hailed from.  

5 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir that's just beautiful! I'm working on the elaborate flowery embellishment carvings which would have originally run above her name. The challenge is to capture the spirit of the lovely work and echo that on the Cutwater arch while at the same time not overwhelming the proud name & city of location she originally hailed from.  

Thanks Rich.  its your drawiing goldened...

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

6 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich.  its your drawiing goldened...

Vladimir, I thought I recognized it! This was what's on the Stern in the Towing to Alaska scene. I just switched the city to Boston, her original port of hail.

I'm still working on the carving over her name. At this point it's too elaborate, so I gotta tone it down a bit. 

Meanwhile, I'm almost done the 15' Wheelhouse side. I'm just trying to accurately determine the exact dimensions and placement of the little vent housing atop the roof. So far 7' wide seems to be most accurate, possibly 8' long. The front is divided 2' ends with 3' center. 

Vladimir here's my best interpretation of Glory's original Wheelhouse configuration. What I thought was originally 10' wide x 12' long turns out to be 15' square. All elements for the rear repeat themselves on the sides. I've included a window for the door since one of the photos seems to support it. The small vent house on top appears to be 7' wide × 8' long. The lower section might be level, the front face is treated just like Venetian Blinds only smaller with a 3' higher center and 2' outer ends.

20210925_200758.jpg

6 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir here's my best interpretation of Glory's original Wheelhouse configuration. What I thought was originally 10' wide x 12' long turns out to be 15' square. All elements for the rear repeat themselves on the sides. I've included a window for the door since one of the photos seems to support it. The small vent house on top appears to be 7' wide × 8' long. The lower section might be level, the front face is treated just like Venetian Blinds only smaller with a 3' higher center and 2' outer ends.

20210925_200758.jpg

its gorgeous Rich, and very helpful for us. i still dont get purpose of side doors when front is fully opened though...it would be hell of a panelling but definitely worth it. 

5 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

its gorgeous Rich, and very helpful for us. i still dont get purpose of side doors when front is fully opened though...it would be hell of a panelling but definitely worth it. 

Vladimir thanks for your generous compliment. To answer your question about the door, it's for entrance to the rear enclosed area, which is a 12' square area. The "open" front section which originally housed the ship's wheel and provided shelter to the helmsman had no door to enter the rear section. As I discussed with Rob about the Wheelhouse extension, more doors had to be included or there would have been no way to enter the new extended section either. 

In regards to the ornate paneling, it's a very consistent theme throughout the vessel. The clear image of Glory on a towline bound for Alaska again reveals this ornamentation was on all sides of her Wheelhouse and in fact was continued on the extension as well. 

Finally, raised panelling is apparently continued on all sides of the Rear Carriage House as well. By closely examining the above rear scene where Glory's docked, again in Alaska, just below the turned rail and next to the ladder you can see another lovely example of Glory's raised panelling on the corner. How you can model this will be a challenge, perhaps gluing very thin rope in the patterns illustrated & then lightly painting over it might work. All I can say is it definitely was there.

22 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich. you did recognized that its your drawiing goldened didnt you?  little while and you can say its my vessel dressed up :D

now some bad news. i did some measurements today, and i found out that my topgallant forecastle deck is !!!!  5 mm lower than should be altogether with catheads.....! as those poor sailors woud have to lean too much ....so ....going to rework it. must. will this pain ever stop ?

even ffrom engineer point of view, there were no mentions of forecastle left as it was done as / if its OK for us it will probably be perfect.... did some initial rpeparations for skyights and last remaining three building, cook, wheelhouse and foredeck entrance...

now couple of days break from glory... starting with rainy nights...

im fresh for a change....at this moment she turns upside down in my stomach so...i need distance to ove her again :D

v.

Yeah…..I took a day off so I could work on some astronomy equipment too.    I hate redoing stuff,  so I step back for a fresh perspective.   

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

7 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Yeah…..I took a day off so I could work on some astronomy equipment too.    I hate redoing stuff,  so I step back for a fresh perspective.   

Rob

Vladimir I've always suspected that the forecastle was sunken down in order to accomodate the sailors berthed there. It's vague but some of the earliest descriptions seem to imply that. If that's the case, then nothing has to be changed.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:58 AM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Rich , yeah, there definitely IS slight very very subtle Curve , from engineer perspective of narrowing stern aftwards expected and obvious. I Can tell your i Will live with fact that i jave roof striaght. 

This IS for makeup guys and i am sure you Will love it. My friends thought that IT was real houses when i showed him a pics....

I finished carving knees to see what  trial assembly  completed house looks like - pls note curved roof assembly and temporary mast Stuck in ...

IMG_20210917_134916.jpg

Pretty awesome....

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

8 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir I've always suspected that the forecastle was sunken down in order to accomodate the sailors berthed there. It's vague but some of the earliest descriptions seem to imply that. If that's the case, then nothing has to be changed.

Rich, thanks for interst,  i will post some pics to discuss importance of if...it will help to decide surely. 

On 9/26/2021 at 3:00 AM, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Vladimir, I noticed a mistake I made when sketching  the upper line of the window and door. Instead of lining up with the window in the door, it actually aligns with the top of the door instead. This can be clearly observed by looking at the Port side of the extended Helm House in the Alaskan towing scene.

2 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, I noticed a mistake I made when sketching  the upper line of the window and door. Instead of lining up with the window in the door, it actually aligns with the top of the door instead. This can be clearly observed by looking at the Port side of the extended Helm House in the Alaskan towing scene.

Eich Ok i see it now. Thanks for headup. ;) 

Few exciting news ( at least for me). 

Advice fór Using tápe was best oné ever. Thanks folks. Its cleanest work of All . Enjoyed IT enormously. I sheathed one side in two  goes two  Evenings. But ran out of tape. I cant emphasis enough how overal look of vessel changed towards shipshape breauty. She will soon be ready to dance. :)

meanwhile i got small rail Columns and im over the moon for them how beautifull and close they are to original. I still have plenty bigger ones to diminish so i decided to finish another side od  copper first as i Can turn her over and rails Will be after touch. 

so that from me fór a while im Working on small buildings but IT Will také some more  time for sure....

hope you enjoy pics. V. 

IMG_20210927_092253.jpg

IMG_20210927_092204.jpg

IMG_20210927_091631.jpg

IMG_20210927_091541.jpg

IMG_20210927_091524.jpg

IMG_20210927_091406.jpg

IMG_20210927_091359.jpg

IMG_20210927_091237.jpg

IMG_20210926_111052.jpg

IMG_20210926_111131.jpg

IMG_20210926_092110.jpg

IMG_20210925_163450.jpg

IMG_20210925_163501.jpg

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Eich Ok i see it now. Thanks for headup. ;) 

Vladimir, I'm working on the correction now. Basically it looks like everything will shift up about the same with the end result being the lower section being a little taller than the upper one.

Edited by ClipperFan
Grammar correction

Coppering job is looking fantastic Vlad...just fantastic.

Great progress for sure.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

2 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Few exciting news ( at least for me). 

Advice fór Using tápe was best oné ever. Thanks folks. Its cleanest work of All . Enjoyed IT enormously. I sheathed one side in two  goes two  Evenings. But ran out of tape. I cant emphasis enough how overal look of vessel changed towards shipshape breauty. She will soon be ready to dance. :)

meanwhile i got small rail Columns and im over the moon for them how beautifull and close they are to original. I still have plenty bigger ones to diminish so i decided to finish another side od  copper first as i Can turn her over and rails Will be after touch. 

so that from me fór a while im Working on small buildings but IT Will také some more  time for sure....

hope you enjoy pics. V. 

IMG_20210927_092253.jpg

IMG_20210927_092204.jpg

IMG_20210927_091631.jpg

IMG_20210927_091541.jpg

IMG_20210927_091524.jpg

IMG_20210927_091406.jpg

IMG_20210927_091359.jpg

IMG_20210927_091237.jpg

IMG_20210926_111052.jpg

IMG_20210926_111131.jpg

IMG_20210926_092110.jpg

IMG_20210925_163450.jpg

IMG_20210925_163501.jpg

Vladimir, these pics are just beautiful. Your new posts look so much slimmer and more accurate. You did an amazing job on the Stern lettering too. It's just so exciting seeing "GLORY of the SEAS" literally coming to life the way you and Rob are recreating her!

Vladimir, revised Wheelhouse attached. Besides raising window line to match top of the door, the ventilation structure has also been revised, primarily to reflect the image of Glory's Stern in Alaska. The next step is to complete the rear of this same structure.

20210927_183637.jpg

Edited by ClipperFan
replaced image

8 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, revised Wheelhouse attached. Besides raising window line to match top of the door, the ventilation structure has also been revised, primarily to reflect the image of Glory's Stern in Alaska. The next step is to complete the rear of this same structure.

20210927_183637.jpg

Thanks Rich, i think at the end i will collect these sektches and hang on the wall together will main poster. 

4 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thanks Rich, i think at the end i will collect these sektches and hang on the wall together will main poster. 

Vladimir, to paraphrase the famous quote, the prints are in the mail. By now Rob should have gotten his. Delay was due to a "Goldilocks challenge". Seems like I just couldn't get the darkness just right. Due to limitations in copies, I couldn't get Rob all 3 prints, so I sent the 2 darker ones. In your case Vlad, I sent all 3. Since I'm not charging Rob for his shipping, it wouldn't be fair to charge you, just because you live in Serbia. I'm curious to know when you receive yours, it's coming in a big 2' tube, well sealed. 

50 minutes ago, ClipperFan said:

Vladimir, to paraphrase the famous quote, the prints are in the mail. By now Rob should have gotten his. Delay was due to a "Goldilocks challenge". Seems like I just couldn't get the darkness just right. Due to limitations in copies, I couldn't get Rob all 3 prints, so I sent the 2 darker ones. In your case Vlad, I sent all 3. Since I'm not charging Rob for his shipping, it wouldn't be fair to charge you, just because you live in Serbia. I'm curious to know when you receive yours, it's coming in a big 2' tube, well sealed. 

Yes Rich, I just received my copies and, OH boy....  Wonderful drawings.  I shared them with my wife and she also agrees, that they are wonderfully done. Did you ever hear back from Mike concerning the addition of these in his new publication?

Thank you for thinking of me and sending these along.....I'm blessed and am much appreciative.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

4 hours ago, ClipperFan said:

my oh my, I only hope you didnt send it to Serbia :) as it is quite a route from my country. :) I bet it was typo. I wont let you give it away just like that i will tr to compensate somehow. will think of it neanwhile. warm thanks on advance Rich. excitement is up. 

Edited by Vladimir_Wairoa
add

3 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

my oh my, I only hope you didnt send it to Serbia :) as it is quite a route from my country. :) I bet it was typo. I wont let you give it away just like that i will tr to compensate somehow. will think of it neanwhile. warm thanks on advance Rich. excitement is up. 

Vladimir, I copied your address exactly as it was sent to me. Now I will worry that it was sent to a wrong address? Just let me know when it arrives, please.

6 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Yes Rich, I just received my copies and, OH boy....  Wonderful drawings.  I shared them with my wife and she also agrees, that they are wonderfully done. Did you ever hear back from Mike concerning the addition of these in his new publication?

Thank you for thinking of me and sending these along.....I'm blessed and am much appreciative.

Rob

Rob, you're most sincerely welcome, it's my pleasure and a way to express my gratitude for establishing this group and getting me the introduction to my favorite Glory author, Michael Mjelde. 

On the other topic, while he's mentioned doing an updated article in Nautical Research Journal he didn't say anything about including my work in his latest book. Although I did send double prints to him, so that he could forward copies to Ron Haug, his friend "Downunder." However, If you'd like to put in a good word for me, it would be greatly appreciafed.