Cyphered planks is something I know only from a phrase 'flush beaded or cyphered planks' for the normal 'ceiled' walls of a Parish church vestry - the wooden cladding of a plastered stone wall, to around waist level.
It is distinct from an alternative finish for the same 'beaded planks' - which I presume to have a prominent 'beading' rather than a flush treatment. More specific details I don't know.

Harris cut is a style of glass engraving (characterised by curved lines meeting as a pointed arch, and crossing adjacent pairs) - often seen in drinking glasses. Look up examples and consider whether it might be relevant to the item described. I am assuming from the combination, that you are looking at decor of the cabins. It could refer also to decorative carving on wooden panelling.

Harris cut is a straight diagonal cut for joining two pieces end on. The false keel it the usual application for this joint.

Cyphered joints are longitudinal half- joints, edge on.

See and read:

https://books.google.com/books?id=TWsmw-QqvmAC

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Good Evening Gentlemen;

The word 'Harris' in this context is a not uncommon misnomer. The word is actually 'Arris', which is a common term in stone masonry and carpentry, and is in regular usage amongst craftsmen. I believe that it actually is derived from either French, or Norman-French. It means a sharp edge or any corner formed by planes meeting at up to 90 degrees or so. 

However, many architects, or clients, on the mistaken assumption that the craftsman they overhear talking of the 'arris' is actually dropping the letter 'H' from 'Harris', which is a widespread habit amongst many English speakers, then refer to the 'Harris' in a misplaced desire to speak 'properly'. This is the derivation of the 'Harris' as a technical term, but it is totally erroneous. 

As an example, the horizontal timber used in fencing, which is triangular in section, and against several of which the vertical pales are fixed, is known as an 'arris rail'. 

So the correct term for which Don is seeking a definition is 'arris cut'. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

1 hour ago, Bob Cleek said:

Thanks for the link! It's a good one. I was able to look up the meaning of "druxey." Quite interesting. "White fuzz rot" we call it. "The most easily overlooked defect."  :D

Now that is a definition I didn't expect.  I'm not sure I'll be able to clear it from my brain either.   :stunned: 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Now that is a definition I didn't expect.  I'm not sure I'll be able to clear it from my brain either.   :stunned: 

I've been digging rot out of wooden boats for over fifty years and I've never heard the term, either. I just happened to catch it as I scrolled through the glossary in the linked book. 

Edited by Bob Cleek