stanchions and life lines on model ships.

Bill, a little more info would help... ship?  country?   year?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The ship is the Marie Celeste. scale 1:90. In this picture it appears that the bulwark planks have been removed. I found a video U tube showing installing stanchions in the same manner.  Unfortunately I am not finding the video again. (Maybe I was just dreaming ;) )

mary-celeste-engraving.jpeg

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

It could be that the stanchions are extensions of some of the frames not necessarily separate pieces.  See Ed Tosti's build of Young America.   If not and they indeed are separate pieces, the following drawing of a schooner of 1896 shows one example of how they were set up between the frames.  For the size If you have the width and moulded dimensions of the top timbers of the frames these may be a guide to the size of the stanchions.   For sure the moulded dimension would be the same even if separate pieces not frame extensions.  Looking at the photo of the MC held by the Cumberland County Museum in Nova Scotia, the bulwarks appear to run up to the cap rail, not open as you point out.  Odd that the artist shows them exposed which was not uncommon on older vessels.  Maybe just his interpretation unless she was so fitted at some point in her lifetime before the photo at the museum was taken.  Hope this helps. 

Allan

image.png.d54b3478f2ff30bbb32c1ed432eea92e.png

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Over her time the MC has probably had several changes. These pictures come up in my research of her showing stanchions. The first picture shows traces of lifelines just around the cabin and on the fantail. The last picture shows what appears to be gun ports or windows. So the information is very confusing. At this point the bulwarks on my model are covered and I will leave its that way but I do like the look of open stanchions. Perhaps on another ship model, maybe a revenue cutter. 

B

fe1edf520acfd6474fbf808f7a27a9ba.jpeg

th-5.jpeg

screen3.jpeg

th-4.jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Good Morning Bill;

I would be very dubious about placing too much reliance on any of the pictures you show being a true picture of the Marie Celeste, except the first one in this post, which is presumably known to be her. TV production companies, or video editors, are likely to take considerable liberties with the truth; and the last picture is obviously a generic image of a much larger ship, with three masts. The Smithsonian may have taken some trouble to give a good resemblance to her for their video, but one cannot be sure without checking.

I only mention these thoughts so that you do not feel too cut up about not matching your model's appearance with any of the more dubious images posted. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS