Endurance by clearway - OcCre - 1/70 scale - kitbash

Thanks for looking in and the likes as always- work has continued with the steering with rearmost support bracket version 3-  forgot to get a pic while still in the brass- all the brackets have been painted matt black and the wheel has had a coat of dark earth (Humbrol matt29).

Also obtained some capped rail stanchions, single ball stanchions and some replacement engine room ventilators from Cornwall Model Boats. 

On the anchor deck, after looking at a good pic in Getty images have altered the catheads- weirdly enough on my plans for Polaris from the N.M.M. they are shown as Occre have them but on pic they are like mine !?!?

Endurance_bow_stanchions1.thumb.jpg.71832a3b85180efd1b7072ecf7747404.jpg

Endurance_progress1.thumb.jpg.c4b47776d29fb427515a1a68a11eb6b2.jpg

Endurance_steering_painted1.thumb.jpg.ebb8d436767b26286da6555143b496fe.jpg

Endurance_stern_stanchions1.jpg.afc2a82b439a103059b2b9d488be5e03.jpg

Endurance_vents1.thumb.jpg.e5ed14e0625f07bad1f75c5d79f4bc50.jpg

Note the different position of the ventilators compared to Occres position- also have found a good view of the engine room skylight so that will be rebuilt.

Take care all

Keith

Ty Montaigne, i just wish i had noticed that "gap" under the fore/anchor deck before i installed everything- if anyone is adding nit the deck planking will run uninterrupted into it and there is an anchor windlass under there. According to the plans i have the starboard cabin is the lamp room and the port side is the WC.

Keith

Are you planning to keep the portholes as they are? I’m planning to build the OcCre Endurance myself some day, and the portholes were among the first thing I noticed and plan to change; the brass rings look far from the original portholes. However it’s not easy to see exactly how they’re supposed to look, as judging by Frank Hurley’s photos they mostly look like just plain holes where the actual window frame is recessed. I’ve only found detailed images of the portholes from inside the cabins (which I can post, should you need them).

5 minutes ago, Montaigne said:

Are you planning to keep the portholes as they are? I’m planning to build the OcCre Endurance myself some day, and the portholes were among the first thing I noticed and plan to change; the brass rings look far from the original portholes. However it’s not easy to see exactly how they’re supposed to look, as judging by Frank Hurley’s photos they mostly look like just plain holes where the actual window frame is recessed. I’ve only found detailed images of the portholes from inside the cabins (which I can post, should you need them).

I've noted this myself.  The cabin walls (and the ships planking also) were thick - for insulation.  A fire from inside the cabin does show angles going away from the round port hole frame  - so when the time to build comes, I'll do an approximation of this configuration, so from the outside one will see just a round hole in the outer planking, with a round metal frame recessed.

There were many stages of outfitting, starting with the original Polaris - then the amount of refitting down in England, of which there are pictures and the OcCre kit is mostly like this version (except that the steering mechanism was not yet inclosed by a small structure (to keep it ice-free).  Hence Hake Zou modeled his build with the stern mechanism visible.  In South America, the 'Ritz' cabin was enlarged to go forward and join with the central cabin on the weather deck. - as well as adding the ice protection shack over the steering mechanism.  This is the version I may do.

Once trapped by ice, further modifications were made to set up temporary decking over the stern area (after moving the steering mechanism cover), and there is a version like this displayed (until recently, pending museum upgrades) in the Shackleton Museum in Athy Ireland.  One has to sort through all the available pictures to get the proper chronology.  There is also a MSW build of a version 'ship in a bottle'.

The idea for any ship build is to pick a time, place and situation that one wants to represent ... all ships tended to be 'works in progress'.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

1 hour ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

I've noted this myself.  The cabin walls (and the ships planking also) were thick - for insulation.  A fire from inside the cabin does show angles going away from the round port hole frame  - so when the time to build comes, I'll do an approximation of this configuration, so from the outside one will see just a round hole in the outer planking, with a round metal frame recessed.

Sounds like a good way to go about it. Here are some of the pictures I've found where details of the portholes are visible. Taking the cabin walls into account, it does indeed look very thick:

gettyimages-3252975-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.c556891af16c6f166c2e33e60305f9b1.jpg

gettyimages-3253805-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.31d62268182115f0ab4b6ef7efb498d6.jpg

gettyimages-480805255-2048x20482.thumb.jpg.d40fef8dde3e5dadcfe34ad9ea7e00cc.jpg

gettyimages-1053505040-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.abaac17526d793e4c313121a63ee788c.jpg

HusseyandJamesworkinginthelaboratoryonboardEndurance(1912).jpg.5465771ef41dece4c1958845a6d62031.jpg

1 hour ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

The idea for any ship build is to pick a time, place and situation that one wants to represent ... all ships tended to be 'works in progress'.

That's very true.

i am just going to glaze the portholes as they look at the moment montaigne- though maybe enlarge them a little. Thanks for the offer of pics though i do have the book south with endurance which has a lot of frank hurleys pics and of course there are some good ones on getty images you can look at.

Keith

20 minutes ago, clearway said:

i am just going to glaze the portholes as they look at the moment montaigne- though maybe enlarge them a little. Thanks for the offer of pics though i do have the book south with endurance which has a lot of frank hurleys pics and of course there are some good ones on getty images you can look at.

Cheers, I realized that the images above are actually the only ones I have of the portholes that are fairly detailed. But I’ll be buying a couple of books when it’s time for the build.

Keith, somehow I missed this build when you started it in June of 2021. I've just gone through the log a couple of times and it's coming along quite nicely and I look forward to looking over your shoulder till the finish.

Interestingly enough just a couple of days ago I listened to an interview with Mensun Bound on NPR's Science Friday. The link is below and well worth listening to.

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/shackleton-endurance-beneath-the-ice-book/

According to the plans i have the starboard cabin is the lamp room and the port side is the WC.

Clearway Keith, are you talking about cabins under the foredeck either side of the open area?  And which plans do you have?

Kieth Black, thanks for posting that NPR link .  It was fascinating, and I imagine his book is as well (The Ship Beneath the Ice). Of course there wasn't much that was helpful for building the model.  Understandably Mensun wants to talk about his discovery. Has anyone seen the book yet?  I'm wondering if it has any photos or videos of the ship in addition to what was released right after the discovery.

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Current build::    Shackleton's Endurance -- OcCre  

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

Clearway, I think I answered my own question.  The WC and lamp locker are shown in the photo of plans on the Shackleton family's website  http://www.ernestshackleton.net/endurance-expedition

Tom

________________________________________________________________________________________

Completed:    

USS Constitution cross section  -- Model Shipways         Peterboro Canoe -- Midwest Models             Bluenose -- Artesania Latina

Joshua Slocumb’s Spray -- BlueJacket                                J Boat Endeavor -- Amati                                 Other     Wright Flyer -- Model Airways

Yacht America -- Model Shipways                                         Brig Niagara -- Model Shipways                                     Sopwith Camel -- Hasegawa

On 3/7/2023 at 8:29 PM, Tomculb said:

Clearway Keith, are you talking about cabins under the foredeck either side of the open area?  And which plans do you have?

Yes Tom i am talking about the cabins under the foredeck- the plans i have are for Polaris from the national maritime museum- unfortunitly they show her as Polaris without any modifications- on the plans the fore/ anchor deck is actually cut away a bit like Cutty Sarks, but the give dimensions for funnels/ masts deckhouses etc- when squaring off your stern aperture for the propellor the top angles upwards to the sternpost by about 30 degrees.

Keith

Thanks Keith for pointing out the correct shape of the propeller insert; fortunately it's something I can remedy fairly easily.

I have now found a couple of photos of Polaris plans on the National Maritime Museum website.  You must have obtained more complete plans, as what I found did not include a deck view.  As I mentioned in my build log, Richard Wright wrote an article in the Spring 2016 Nautical Research Journal about his scratch build of Endurance.  He mentions having obtained Polaris plans from the Whaling Museum (apparently "Hvalfangstmuseet" in Norwegian) in Sandefjord, Norway, where the ship was built.  The photo below shows Mr. Wright's interpretation of the cutout in the anchor deck you refer to, along with other details you may be interested in.

IMG_7324.thumb.jpg.8ca5f77e96642183cfb0fe9d482c7e7a.jpg

Tom

Completed:    

Interesting pic Tom and interesting to see everyones interpretation of her- Back in the shipyard and i have started giving the engine room skylight a redux- the film footage of her being wrecked in the ice is posted on u-tube which gives a good view of it- though not 100% correct i hope to have a passing resemblance to the original.

Endurance_revised_skylight1.thumb.jpg.1d4d2bfe7c259d2cd2c14e7a316c2295.jpg

On Friday last went down to the steam gala at Keighley (can't believe a year has passed since last one)! Safe to say i was lucky as it threw a snowstorm for 24 hours beforehand (the Settle to Carlisle railway line stayed open thankfully and first pic shows the view eastwards just after Kirkby Stephen station.

Kirkby_Stephen_snow1.thumb.jpg.d34950ef01ef3219bc87a811cfbb3ba7.jpg

Next Jubilee class loco "Bahamas"

Jubilee_Ingrow_station1.thumb.jpg.ac5506ff390966f2f77909623287caad.jpg

and finally two Black 5s waiting the off at Haworth Station

Fire_and_ice_21.thumb.jpg.cc75558288ed9fb0663e48cc57f08497.jpg

Take care everyone.

Keith

Edited by clearway
missed info

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting caught up over here, too, Keith. I remember running into that discrepancy with the catheads, which you wrote about a month ago or so. I came to the same solution as you after studying that photo of Hurley's available through Getty. Also nice to see you correctly positioning the ventilators—that's probably my biggest regret from my build, that I didn't catch Occre's odd placement in time to more them. Your design of the steering gear looks fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

For the chainplate do you use brown thread or metal profil ?

Thank you

16 avril 2023 (5).JPG

François
-Granado 1756 - HM Bomb vessel - JoTiKa/Caldercraft - 1:64

• 4 months later...

Hey Keith, your Endurance is beautiful and it'll be really cool to see without paint. I know you're busy with Erebus, but when you come back to Endurance, what do you plan on using for the bow stanchion railings? Will you use brass wire, as done with the other rails, or use thread? I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, but am leaning towards using brass wire and painting white even though it's not 100% accurate.

-Josh

Current Build:

Endurance - OcCre

Newport - Mamoli

4 hours ago, theoracle09 said:

am leaning towards using brass wire and painting white even though it's not 100% accurate.

You can use white craft wire, sure beats having to paint brass wire. 

https://www.wirejewelry.com/ultra-white-silver-plated-copper-craft-wire-1.html