I'm working on the MS Harriet Lane and my model has a sheet of pre-scored deck. I've made a paper template, but I'm wondering if there is a trick for cutting it without the wood splintering or getting raggedy? Any help will be appreciated. 

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

I can't answer for certain, but in the past with thin sheet stock I'd apply a layer of masking tape (well burnished in) and then a new xacto blade.   I'm not sure how a scroll saw would work.  

Have you looked at other logs to see how they did it?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hadn't thought to look at other logs. I did search "scored deck" and "scored sheet." I'll take a look and see what I can see. My plan is sort of what you recommend. I'd really like to just ditch the sheet and use planks, but at that scale, I don't know if it's feasible.

What scale?  Do some testing on some scrap to see if it works first.  If the deck is laser scored, you might be able to cut out one plank at a time and fit them. I've not built this model so different manufacturers use different methods of scoring.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She's 1:144 and the planks look to be about 1.5mm wide apiece. It looks like I might be able to cut individual strips, but man - that's a lot of small individual strips

13 minutes ago, Stevinne said:

She's 1:144 and the planks look to be about 1.5mm wide apiece. It looks like I might be able to cut individual strips, but man - that's a lot of small individual strips

A lot of strips and a lot of possibility of errors in cutting that tiny.  It would take a saw with a very high tooth count to cut that and then kerf needs accounting for. 

When you traced the "deck" did you do it on ship or from the plans?   The reason I ask is that the roundup/curves of the deck will require that the one-sheet planking be a bit bigger than the tracing if you took it from the plans.  

Might be the best way is to trace it, check it on the hull, then cut it a bit bigger than the needed.  As you install it, some touch us sanding will be needed to achieve a perfect fit.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I made the template from the ship itself. The Harriet Lane has a pre-carved hull, with the bulwarks thicker than they should be, so the first step is to thin them down - I did that with my rotary tool and sandpaper. It looks good so far, but I imagine my job is nothing like what is shown on the plans. My plan is what you suggest - Give myself a little extra width and sand the deck so it slides in snug, though one of my concerns is that the plank lines might then wind up a little off the center line.

At that scale, and with all the fittings and deck furniture, I don't think the center line will be all that obvious.

However, I understand how that sort of thing can eat at you.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon