Mary Rose

spars

On 9/11/2021 at 3:32 PM, Louie da fly said:

Johnny, I agree about the upper masts on carracks. It took quite a while before the topmast reached a respectable size, and by that time carracks were being superseded by galleons to a large degree.

As you are aware, there are a large number of contemporary pictures of ships from the same time period as the Wasa which would help as a guide. I would also recommend Anderson's book for the Wasa's period. It's VERY thorough and VERY detailed, and covers just about every source of information available and every detail of masting and rigging, and even goes into the differences between the ships of different nations.

Steven

It occurred to me today that my library includes a copy of Brian Lavery's Anatomy of the Ship series volume on the Susan Constant. This ship was built a half-century after Mary Rose, but the mast joins in Lavery's drawings are similar to what's visible in the Anthony Roll drawings of Mary Rose as well as in other contemporary drawings of carracks. 

Edited by EHood

Ahoy Mates Here's my Mary Rose while it was in progress. Used the Trust books and the AOTS book and others for the 90%scratch build using the Jotika kits bulkheads and keel only from the kit.  The Only accurate parts of the ship are the areas that were recovered and documented in the Trust book volumes. All the upper works are conjecture . I made my build with starting with a full main gun deck and up. With most of the deck planking missing so you can look down into the hull to see all the decks and cannons. All the cannons were scratch made . I used Syren Minature rope with Chucks custom made deadeyes he made for me. The rest of the rigging blocks were from Radek at HisModels.CZ . Boxwood and swiss pear was from Jeff Hern. If you would like to see more photos just PM me and I will be happy to send them to you or answer any questions.  Thanks Keith Glueck and Pickels

DSCN3094 (1).JPG

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 6:32 PM, Louie da fly said:

Johnny, I agree about the upper masts on carracks. It took quite a while before the topmast reached a respectable size, and by that time carracks were being superseded by galleons to a large degree.

As you are aware, there are a large number of contemporary pictures of ships from the same time period as the Wasa which would help as a guide. I would also recommend Anderson's book for the Wasa's period. It's VERY thorough and VERY detailed, and covers just about every source of information available and every detail of masting and rigging, and even goes into the differences between the ships of different nations.

Steven

Steven ... I saw on a post not too long ago (yeah, try and find something like that once its been gone a while) that early ships did NOT have foot ropes on the yards (and certainly no jack stays).  This was implied for 17th century vessels and earlier.  So when did foot ropes begin, and how did crewmen get out and work on the yards without foot ropes?  Now my surmise is that on single mast/single sail early ships - like Viking craft and those seen on the Bayeux Tapestry (1066) -  the yard was lowered to put on or take off a sail.  When ships got larger and a top sail was added (as well as a second mast), one might think that the yards were still lowered via halyards to bend/unbend sail.  With the advent of ratlines (still in the 'no foot rope' era), crew could climb the mast to put rigging (bunt lines, clews and the like) through blocks and let the line down to the deck while the yards were down to bend sails.  So when such a yard-lowering practice ceased, the question arises (before the advent of foot ropes) ... how did they get out on the yards without falling off?  Straddling the yard?

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

7 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

how did they get out on the yards without falling off?  Straddling the yard?

Yep. They seem to have been very brave (or foolhardy). But then it's probably the old story, till footropes were invented, nobody felt the lack . . .

1540610859_SantaCaterinadoMontoSinai(2).thumb.jpg.2e58d46e9c060069c1cc700af4723bab.jpg

Embarkation_0002.thumb.jpg.acdca80b41ecf772ce1b66a34bbe254d.jpg

273521620_1238sealofSandwich.thumb.jpg.9a0610b39cd565963fbe8bbaadd3ff57.jpg

1544691584_1468retableofStUrsulaCatalanCarrack.jpg.974c51bd4400ce3de1a2a067585ab5dd.jpg   1859917499_BNFLatin6142folio.jpg.efdcaa8655eb8fbb2ad272d153f4390a.jpg

You may be right about dropping the yard to attach the sail to it, but it seems pretty obvious that to unfurl it once it was up, they climbed up and sat astride the yard. I don't know if they would have done the same to furl the sail - somehow it doesn't seem all that likely. Maybe they dropped the yard, sail and all, to furl it.

When footropes came in - certainly not before 1545 - the second painting above is from that date. It would need a search through contemporary pictures of galleons to see if they had them - just did that, and no clear evidence of footropes in use, but this Dutch pic from as late as 1629 (It's not very clear, I'm afraid) still seems to show someone straddling the mainyard. 

830466192_1629AHaarlemshipcutsthechainoftheportofDamiettaonNovember151629-detail5.JPG.e72fdd794aa3837d3cc4586da8a21e4f.JPG

[Edit] According the R.C. Anderson in The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast

"It is impossible to say when they did first appear, but I believe it to be a fact that the first evidence for them is in Bond's The Boatswain's Art" of 1642. Certainly they are not mentioned in the English books of 1620-40, such as Manwayring and Boteler." [/Edit]

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

O ... M ... Gosh (concerning the straddling of yards)!  There must have been a lot of chafing doing that ... and no Talcum powder. I noticed the pictures showing two-piece yards lashed together in the middle.

Seeing images of crewmen standing on yardarms called to mind a 19th c. engraving of most of the crew standing on all the yards of a Navy ship entering port. (There was a term for that - mostly for 'show' and ostensibly to indicate they were not manning the guns.)  More recently, the roofers working atop our home walked and carried on unworried about the height and risk of their profession.  I guess it is all what one is used to.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

4 hours ago, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

O ... M ... Gosh (concerning the straddling of yards)!  There must have been a lot of chafing doing that ... and no Talcum powder. I noticed the pictures showing two-piece yards lashed together in the middle.

Not to mention the occasional splinter in a very uncomfortable spot.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)