Flying Fish by Jared - Model Shipways - 1:96

8 hours ago, Jared said:

Vlad's workmanship is incredible!  Museum quality for sure.  Unfortunately my skill level is nowhere near that.    🫣

@Jared it wasn't my intention to embarrass you with Vlad's prowess at craftsmanship. It was merely to help out seeing how others have dealt with similar rigging projects you will do. As for skill level. The farthest I've progressed is building the 3' Revell Cutty Sark, so my abilities are way behind pretty much everyone on this site, including you.

Looking great. I was wondering how to make the figurehead from the pieces and just gave up and made a new one. 

I also kind of cheated with the bobstay shackles. I drilled a hole in the brass that was mounted on the prow, used that to drill a matching hole in the wood, glued the brass strip in place, and then glued an eyebolt into the lines up holes in the bow and brass. It worked, but yours is more real.

Regards,

George 

Current Builds: Bluejacket USS KearsargeRRS Discovery 1:72 scratch

Completed Builds: Model Shipways 1:96 Flying Fish | Model Shipways 1:64 US Brig Niagara | Model Shipways 1:64 Pride of Baltimore II (modified) | Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack | Heller 1:150 Passat | Revell 1:96 USS Constitution

@Jared  Nice craftsmanship building your chainplates. I've attached a picture of the starboard bow of Glory of the Seas, so you can see how the upper end of the bobstay chainlinks connect to 'deadeyes'. Shackles on the bowsprit originate at the base of the two outermost iron bands. I hope this helps you with this part of your build. 

20210309_072220.jpg.de7678cb29e978bef988d0f262c30a3f.jpg

Thanks George.  The figurehead was quite simple.  I simply glued the wing on using gel super glue.  I then painted a clear primer on the wings and later, white acrylic paint.

I was going to crimp a brass strip then drill a hole through the cramped part through which I would make a ring to attach to the bobstay chain.  However I kept breaking my drill bits and came up with the soldering approach.  It took me quite a few tries to get it right.   Working at such a small scale with vision problems is quite challenging.

The chain jackstays on the bowsprit have been completed and mounted as shown in the accompanying figure.   I found the rigging the lanyards between the hearts to be quite challenging, owing to the awkward underside location of the jackstays.  Required a lot of patience and steady hands to complete.

20240704_150617.jpg