Colin Archer RS1 by Norwegian Plastic - Billing Boats - 1:15

Looks like you will have more space for a hobby room than I do!    Nice work on the 'klyver'.  What did you use to stain the 'rope'? I plan to use wood-stain. 'Herdins Lackbets' or the like. Those who don't intend to sail use tea /coffee !

George

Just realised...shouldn't be posting photos of my build on your thread! Sorry!  You can ask the editor to remove them or maybe you can do it yourself? Not sure.

Are you going to build a 'Nordlandsjolla' to go with the CA?  I made one from a plastic dinghy hull. I'll stop bothering you now, and get on with my build!

George

2 hours ago, Geam said:

Looks like you will have more space for a hobby room than I do!    Nice work on the 'klyver'.  What did you use to stain the 'rope'? I plan to use wood-stain. 'Herdins Lackbets' or the like. Those who don't intend to sail use tea /coffee !

George

Hi George! I do not use any of the rope suplied with the kit. I ordered some ropes from Syren and some from Ebay and they are brown as in the pictures. Those that I have stained I used Vallejo brown wash, I do not think wood stain is a good idea, the ropes would be very stiff when it hardens?image.png.f20d2b5b9f2d1e9d0644d3429aa73ab1.png

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/miniature-rope.php

1 hour ago, Geam said:

Just realised...shouldn't be posting photos of my build on your thread! Sorry!  You can ask the editor to remove them or maybe you can do it yourself? Not sure.

I wouldn't delete them, it is a good reference. Anyhow, you can start your own build log, and link the pictures from it. Personally i'd love to see your log as well, i'm always impressed by models with interior.

1 hour ago, Geam said:

Are you going to build a 'Nordlandsjolla' to go with the CA?  I made one from a plastic dinghy hull. I'll stop bothering you now, and get on with my build!

George

It is nice to have some activity in the building log and I only know of you, Sundt and Arjan building this kit so let us share ideas and solutions. No need to remove the pictures of your beautiful interior! Regarding the dinghy, I have no plan at the moment. When the house is done in July I will start making the sails, my wife has forbidden it until she has a batroom and kitchen in the new house.... 

2 hours ago, Geam said:

George

I forgot to mention that I use stainless steel wire for the stays and shrouds. It is 1,2 mm from Biltema. The wire for the railing and inhaul for the flyer boom is bead wire from the hobby shop. I used bead wire to tie the ring at the bottom of the mizen mast as well.

Last night I build the topsail yard with hailyard, guideline, and block. I have tapered the yard to recemble the real measures (8 cm at the middle and 5,5 cm at the ends) and made a hook at the front lower starboard leg of the pinboard for the hailyard. The hailyard is made from bead wire with a chain (1 meter - 6,6 cm in scale) at the top. I also made a hook and the fitting around the yard to connect the chain. None of this was included in the kit. I have also found that the different hailyards are going on the pinboard at other pins than in the manual.

BAFDA14B-4CAB-43B5-8070-0A55DEF55EEF.jpeg

BF40E1F1-974B-47D8-9D03-A4F0E9FFD98F.jpeg

E2BDB906-8FAE-46C7-B0E5-903E484DEF50.jpeg

7A3F7887-F9A7-4C8B-8BB1-D39009C0F2E3.jpeg

14977EB5-BB41-4392-98EE-2FA0429BA200.jpeg

On 2/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, Norwegian Plastic said:

It is nice to have some activity in the building log and I only know of you, Sundt and Arjan building this kit so let us share ideas and solutions. No need to remove the pictures of your beautiful interior! Regarding the dinghy, I have no plan at the moment. When the house is done in July I will start making the sails, my wife has forbidden it until she has a batroom and kitchen in the new house.... 

There is another guy called Carsten in east Norway who has postet a photo of his RS1 on Sundts thread.

George

I replaced the kerosine holder with a bigger one and did some adjustments. The lamp is now primed and ready for paint. I have had problems in earlier builds with paint/primer not adhering to brass very well, so this time I tried automotive silicone cleaner before priming with automotive grey etch primer. It is an experiment…

1316BFD9-D8C2-4848-9296-3ED8E1743673.jpeg

Edited by Norwegian Plastic

34 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Beautiful. Without the cloth pin, it would be almost impossible to tell it is not a real lamp.

Yves

Well, it looks good but is 50% to big😫. Must have had to many beers when I made the scale calculations and I did not check during the build.… Looking for a shrinking machine now👍🏻

11 hours ago, Norwegian Plastic said:

Well, it looks good but is 50% to big😫. Must have had to many beers when I made the scale calculations and I did not check during the build.… Looking for a shrinking machine now👍🏻

Please send me a few 'doubler beers' and i will stare my bank account after. I think it worth a try :)

Your main cabin oil lamp looks superb NP! I plan to make mine with a ready-made oil lamp and solder/epoxy some brass tube here and there. It'll look a bit skinny compared to the real one...and a bit big at approx' 1/12th scale, but I can live with that. 

Thanks for the tip on staining 'rope'. You are quite right, staining with wood-stain produces less flexible rope. I'll try to mix some 'brown wash'.

George