The Rig and Sail Plans

Guyuti

Don't know if this is the right place for this but I have been watching the Tally Ho series on Youtube.

The episode shown below detail all the various types of sails and rigs on vessels, it is very informative and very well produced.

Tally Ho The Rig and Sail Plans

Enjoy

Guy

That was great. I'll certainly have a look at the other videos on that channel as I think they may be very helpful in understanding a lot more about my next build, the Pen Duick

Thanks for the link.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

My new thing now is to play the videos on my computer as I work on my kit.  It’s nice and mood inducing.  

Really fascinating watching real planks go down.  Makes it look easy!

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

Leo is a class act. He takes the time to explain the how and why of the piece he's making. There are no half measures when it comes to the work or materials invested in the Tally Ho. He could stand to see a barber more often but maybe that's jealousy talking. :)

This was a excellent and informative video. Thanks for posting it.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 12/1/2021 at 3:01 AM, jpalmer1970 said:

That was great. I'll certainly have a look at the other videos on that channel as I think they may be very helpful in understanding a lot more about my next build, the Pen Duick

Thanks for the link.

Will you be building your Pen Duick from scratch or from the Artesania Latina kit? I think the AL kit is the only one for the Pen Duick. I'm having a heck of a time trying to understand the rigging for the gaff topsail on the Pen Duick. The AL instructions and plans are poor when it comes to the rigging.  

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

3 hours ago, BobG said:

Will you be building your Pen Duick from scratch or from the Artesania Latina kit?

Hi Bob, Yes it is the AL kit. It is this year's Xmas present but it will be a while before I get started on it. I'll be borrowing heavily from your build log and those others on here given how sparse the AL instructions are. I'll get a copy of the rigging  book by John Leather and maybe Leo will even have more helpful information about the TallyHo in his rebuild videos.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

10 hours ago, jpalmer1970 said:

Hi Bob, Yes it is the AL kit. It is this year's Xmas present but it will be a while before I get started on it. I'll be borrowing heavily from your build log and those others on here given how sparse the AL instructions are. I'll get a copy of the rigging  book by John Leather and maybe Leo will even have more helpful information about the TallyHo in his rebuild videos.

Be sure to start a build log when you begin. I'll be looking forward to following along. The Pen Duick is such a beautiful boat with a long, wonderful history. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: