Have you seen the log by vossiewulf where he used red primer:

The gun carriages have had their train tackle holes drilled out, casting plugs filed off, and seams sanded down. I then shot some Tamiya red primer over them, and drilled holes on each side for eyebolts for the breech rope and the gun tackles, but I don't think I will fit the latter.

KosBUz8.jpg.c11b00658c9bd589f12fde2f031a

They look pretty good IMO..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

As usual, it would be helpful to state what nation and period the ship is from. Practices have changed over time and were different in different parts of the world.

It is generally safe to paint over almost anything with acrylics, as their main solvent is water with some alcohol added in some cases. The solvent in enamels may attack the varnish or whatever has been put onto the cast gun carriages. However, it may be difficult to get acrylics to stick on certain surfaces when painting with a brush due to their hydrophobic properties. When using an airbrush, this tends to be less of a problem.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 3:14 PM, KirbysLunchBox said:

I decided to 3D print new cannons for my LN.

Nice barrel, yes, but just consider to do the carriage too 🙂

The kit´s ones are also "special" and I do believe that with the knowledge and ability you have as a modeler one should give it at least a try, be in print or even better in wood 🙂 🙂 🙂

All the best, DAniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

10 hours ago, dafi said:

Nice barrel, yes, but just consider to do the carriage too 🙂

The kit´s ones are also "special" and I do believe that with the knowledge and ability you have as a modeler one should give it at least a try, be in print or even better in wood 🙂 🙂 🙂

All the best, DAniel

I have thought about that quite a bit actually. I haven’t found a good source for proper dimensions yet. Thank you for the support! I have read through your 1/100 Victory so many times. Such great inspiration!

~Kirby

How Do Everyone,

I think with the help of our friend Henrythestaffy in Australia, we have cannage. 😁 He supplied these beautifull 3D works of art for me. I thought I'd leave well enough alone and not go dabbling any further with this first build on the cannons. The painting under a magnifyer was a new experience, wasn' too bad actually. Of course later on comes the rigging. I will probably keep it basic. Thanks for all the help here.IMG_2834.thumb.jpg.72bf90accd09ec83d77aaa34f4929906.jpgIMG_2832.thumb.jpg.2076587187eb352c3d180e67a28d6194.jpg

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models