Hi from Melbourne

Greetings everyone! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Simon, I'm originally from New Zealand but have been in Australia since 2004. I am not new to modelling and my works have been primarily sci-fi, aircraft and cars etc. I recently started building ships after I discovered World of Warships and really enjoyed the history of some WW2 battleships and cruisers.  I thought I'd join up to take in the immense wealth of information and talent here to try and get better at ships. My preferred medium is plastic but would like to give a wooden ship a go one day. 

Thankyou all for having me and sitting through this thread 

Welcome to MSW, Simon.  Feel free to start a build log when your ready.  It's a great way to meet others and get help when needed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the kind welcome guys, most appreciated! I will do a WIP post of my New Jersey when I get to it as I have to finish off a couple of other projects, but I am not a stickler for historical accuracy. I just build what I like how I like as it is just a hobby for me, so I'm not sure how well that'll go down here. Time will tell I guess  :)

Simon, welcome to MSW. Get settled in, enjoy the sights, and in time you'll find your niche. 

Welcome from sunny Ballarat - only a bit over an hour up the road! Where in Melbourne do you live? There are several Victorians doing this fascinating hobby (including at least 2 in Ballarat)  - you might find you're close to one of us.

Though I concentrate on Mediaeval and Renaissance ships, it's always good to have another 20th century battleship under way. Have a look at the "20th century" in the  kits section in the build logs - you should be able to pick up some valuable tips for your own build.

And be sure to start a build log of your own. Great way to get acquainted and get help and advice.

Steven 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanks guys! Steven, I live out east near the base of the Dandenong ranges sadly, about 40ks from Melbourne CBD. I haven't been out to Ballarat for ages actually.  Its really nice out there. However, we are looking at moving up to Brisbane next year to be closer to the wife's family. Not my preference but its for a good reason.