Topmasts and Topgallant masts vs Lower Mast

Hi! I've been researching about masts for a while now and more or less understood how lower masts are constructed but I found little info explaining other masts. Can anyone explain the differences in construction, please? I'm particularly interested in 17th century frigates. I usually see topmasts without cheeks or bibbs. I'm not sure if these diagrams are correct but if then how trestle trees would be attached to the mast. Also, topgallant masts often feature head poles and I don't understand how these head poles are attached to the topgallant masts either.

There are numerous books such as James Lees' Masting and Rigging English Ships of War, 1625-1860 or R. C. Anderson's Seventeenth Century Rigging that will inform you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Tommy,  What ship(s) and year(s)? 

In general, Lees and Anderson per Druxey's post above are the best books that I have found for the 17th century. 

I have seen a number of contemporary drawings of masts and yards on the RMG Collections site as well.  I am not sure if any go as far back as the 17th century  but a  search on their collections site should turn up anything appropriate. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 12/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, Tommy Vercetti said:

17th century frigates.

Historic Ship Model  by Mondfeld has a lot of general information ..  Can be a good place to start.

image.png.715a7636f7960ae3a789d49bfc8140cd.png

Here is an example ..  Topmasts and topgallants were for the most part made from single timbers and not built up like lower masts..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 12/25/2021 at 4:54 PM, druxey said:

There are numerous books such as James Lees' Masting and Rigging English Ships of War, 1625-1860 or R. C. Anderson's Seventeenth Century Rigging that will inform you.

Thank you for book recommendations. Lees seems a bit expensive but I think I can afford Anderson's Seventeenth Century Rigging. Hopefully I'll find answers there

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

Tommy,  What ship(s) and year(s)? 

In general, Lees and Anderson per Druxey's post above are the best books that I have found for the 17th century. 

I have seen a number of contemporary drawings of masts and yards on the RMG Collections site as well.  I am not sure if any go as far back as the 17th century  but a  search on their collections site should turn up anything appropriate. 

Allan

Thank you for your reply. I am just researching in general about the topic, trying to figure out how things worked. Here is one picture I that made me wonder about it in particular https://www.hnsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/mastplate2.jpg from https://www.hnsa.org/manuals-documents/age-of-sail/the-elements-and-practice-of-rigging-and-seamanship/page-1/mastplate2.jpg

I thought trestle trees are supposed to be placed upon the cheeks or bibbs as on the lower mast but according to that diagram it's not clear how trestle trees of topmast are supported. Moreover, the transition from the topgallant mast to the pole head is even more confusing. It just says "Topmast trestle-trees are supported by the hounds." but it's still not clear because I can't really see any support under topmast trestle trees, only 8 sided section. I think it could be from 18th century  but still relevant for me.

Edited by Tommy Vercetti
some meaning mistakes

1 minute ago, Gregory said:

Historic Ship Model  by Mondfeld has a lot of general information ..  Can be a good place to start.

image.png.715a7636f7960ae3a789d49bfc8140cd.png

Here is an example ..  Topmasts and topgallants were for the most part made from single timbers and not built up like lower masts..

Yes, I agree. I read chapter about masts and some other chapters and it's really good for a start and I found a lot of good info and very good illustrations of lower masts and tops but not much about topmasts and topgallant masts, unfortunately.

Tommy: the illustrations and dimensions in Steel are excellent, but be aware that they relate to almost 1800. Things changed in many ways during the latter part of the century from 1750 on. Depending on the date your model is supposed to represent, Lees may be the better resource.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv