Presentation

AL3364

Hello,

I live in Bordeaux (France) and I am interested in the entry of Rear-Admiral Penrose’s squadron in Gironde in March 1814 and the capture of the French flotilla of Blaye on 2 April 1814.

I apologize in advance for my bad English (partly from the translator Reverso!) and thank you in advance to all members of the forum who can help me with my research.

Adrien L. (BORDEAUX - France)

Hello Adrien, and welcome to MSW from Sussex.

Since I do not know what information you already have, perhaps you can tell us what you want to know about the Penrose operation?

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome Adrian, to MSW.  I agree with what Bruce said.  I suggest opening a topic in the research area here:  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/13-discussions-for-ships-plans-and-project-research-general-research-on-specific-vessels-and-ship-types/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for this welcome !

For bruce d :

I am mainly looking for information on the entrance of Rear-Admiral Penrose’s squadron in the River Gironde (from 27 March 1814) and on the capture of the French flotilla of Blaye on 2 April 1814. During this last action the french flotilla, which proceeding drown from Blaye to Talmont was intercepted by the advanced boats of British squadron under Lieutenant Dunlop of the Porcupine. On the approach of the boats, the french vessels were run on shore (2 miles near the citadel of Blaye) and their crews, with about two hundred soldiers from Blaye, lined the beach to protect them ; Lieutenant Dunlop landing with a detachment of seamen and marines, drove them with losses in the wood and remained till the tide allowed the greater part of the vessels to brought off.

I think I have made a tour of the books dealing with these events (ex: The Naval Chronicle ; Royal Naval Biography ; Napier’s History of the War in the Peninsula and in the South of France etc…) and currently I would like to be able to discover more precise and first-hand information, taken from the logbooks of the ships under rear-admiral Penrose (including HMS Porcupine, Reynard and Belle Poule) and, why not, from the memories of british sailors. Ideally I hope to be able to reconstruct the course of the action of April 2, 1814 and determine (thanks to the information contained in the logbooks) the exact position of the Blaye flotilla when it was intercepted and attacked.

I also know that, in addition to Lieutenant Dunlop, Midshipman Thomas Vernon Watkins of HMS Reynard (slightly wounded), Lieutenant Patrick Robertson of the Royal Marines and Midshipman J. Hall of HMS Belle Poule took part in the action near Blaye on April 2, 1814. I would like, if possible, information on them and their services in the Royal Navy.

For mtaylor :

On your advice, I’m going to open a new topic in the search area ; thanks.