Detail sander from an electric toothbrush

Picked up a cheap Oral-B 500 toothbrush on ebay and made an oscillating detail sander from it.  Pulled the bristles out of the head and glued a small piece of sandpaper on it.  Tried it out on the hull of a model I am working on and it worked great.  Produces a nice smooth surface.  I am not going to trying using coarse sandpaper with it as I think it would be to aggressive.  The head oscillates at a high rate.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Time to replace the old one which will become a sanding device momentarily.

Thanks for the tips guys!!!!!

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi to all!

If you want a slightly bigger sander that works like charm for models you can make it using Philips sneaker cleaner or an old Philips shoe polisher. These items can be very easily converted to a custom sander. I have one made with the shoe polisher, I made a custom part and a mold, then I made copies of the part with resin. In this way you can have many replaceable heads with different sandpaper grits.

I'm not sure I've introduced this tool here before...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10605990

This is more like professional polisher, and I guarantee that it pretty works well although limited usage... There are some cheaper copy polisher on the ebay from $40.

If you purchase the chinese version, you can change speed of the sander using a variable voltage controller. :) 

I'll apologize in advance, but I wonder if anyone in the forum has ever tried putting sandpaper on a vibrator to fair planking ...  just a crazy idea.

I mean, it could do well for the inside curves below the stern, but I'm not sure whether I dare ask the Admiral if she has one handy.

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny
clarification

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65