Which kit is best to practice Planking?

Ken_2

I finished the NRG Half Hull Planking kit, and it was wonderful.  Now I want to put those lessons to work.

But which kit would be best?    I do not want to spend a year or two on a 3 masted sailing ship.  I want to mostly focus on an advance planking project.  The kits I have been looking are either clinker style or are solid wood or are too simple.

I have built the HMS Victory Launch - which has lots of planking, and is a great boat, but I already built it (before I acquired my newly learned skills).  This is similar to what I am looking for.  Maybe a small sailing boat or fishing skiff, which require lots of planking - to practice my skills.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Hello Ken,

I believe many of the experienced modelers here recommend the smaller boats from Model Shipways and Vanguard Models. I don't have any personal experience with these kits but they are consistently praised for their material quality and clarity of instructions.

Edit: I neglected to mention the kits from Syren, which are also highly regarded here on MSW.

Cheers,

starlight

Edited by starlight

It sounds like the Medway Longboat kit from Syren Ship Model Company would be an excellent kit for planking.  Chuck provides easy to understand instructions for this build.  Here is a link to the Medway Longboat build logs: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/77-medway-long-boat-1742-public-group-project/

You can download the instructions for this kit at this link: https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/medway-longboat-1742.php

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

My thoughts are that, since you have already done the NRG half hull model, you might try something more than than a launch or similar. The challenge you may encounter on a larger hull is the lining off and planning of the planking that a smaller hull may not present. Maybe a kit is not what you are looking for? And maybe not a warship? I have recently planked a early twentieth century schooner hull. No frills, just a big body to plank. It gave lots of practice. 

You might consider Cheerful..

It requires more or less scratch work depending on which of mini kits you decide to go with..

If you are not ready to mill your own strip wood Another of our sponsors Modelers Sawmill has a wood package for Cheerful..

PS

If Cheerful seems a bit ambitious,  any double planked kit that appeals to you, and appears to have a good framework, will give you a chance to practice the planking twice, as you can use 3rd party wood to cut and shape proper planks.

The draw back of most plank on bulkhead kits is that they don't have enough bulkheads to form a smooth one planking approach.

This can be overcome to some extent by filling in the space between bulkheads with some suitable wood.

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon