Those Pesky Clips: Mine are too loose.

My problem at this time is making the clips we all see in the posts. They are easy to put together the problem is making them so they work for me on this model. Mine are too loose. I have thought all along and still believe I can final attach the planks with CA and holding but I would rather not. The clips would also serve for dry fitting each plank as accurately as possible . I could see where additions and subtractions to the bulkhead will be needed. If any of you Mavens can send some clues my way regarding clip production and usage that would speed me along. Thanks. 

More Info: I have not achieved a tight fit using two different brands of clips. I am using the smallest I can find I also have larger ones and my one attempt (with what I would call a midsize) was not satisfactory.

Edited by rudybob
Addition of info

Here's what I use.  I've made up probably 20 or more of them.  The jaws grasp the bulkhead or frame.  The notched end slide over the plank to press it in place.   I don't have a photo of it in use....   

These are simply a wooden clothes pin (or peg to those east of the big pond).   The wood pieces are removed, cut, and then installed back on the metal spring flipped 180 degrees.  I do usually, line the gripper end (on the right) with some sandpaper so it doesn't slip off the bulkhead or frame.

DSCF3438.JPG.dea2500f1e69ad2bbea43638ad53b2e9.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just found this photo... it shows my claps in action.

post-76-0-17013300-1421885100_thumb.jpg.ab33baab8ba423a8104c991efbd46f22.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)