Cutty Sark by Dearborn - Sergal - 1:78

4 hours ago, Veszett Roka said:

Hi John,

thats the same, and you're correct. If you measure an inch on the model, thats 78 inches on the real thing. Or, other words: a foot long model would be a 78 feet long boat in the reality. If you have a Bavaria 35 yacht which is exactly 35 feet long, its model will be 35/78=0.448 feet, so 5.378 inches in 1:78 scale.

If someone can give you the exact plate sizes, just divide them by 78 and you will get the scale size.

Perfect, I thought that was the deal there. (sometimes I feel dumb  LOL) So a bit of research is in order while I wait for the copper tape (I bought 4 rolls)

and a punch wheel that comes with 4 different sized wheels. Then I will make my jig and I'll photograph the progress making my jig and applying them to the ship.

Thanks again!!

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Current Build: Cutty Sark, Sergal 1:78

Past Builds:

Cutty Sark - Plastic Half hull - wall mounted. Circa 1978

Cutty Sark - Plastic Full hull. Circa 1981

Cutty Sark - Billing 1:78 Wood Kit - Destroyed by the U.S. Navy. Circa 1988

4 hours ago, Dearborn said:

Perfect, I thought that was the deal there. (sometimes I feel dumb  LOL) So a bit of research is in order while I wait for the copper tape (I bought 4 rolls)

and a punch wheel that comes with 4 different sized wheels. Then I will make my jig and I'll photograph the progress making my jig and applying them to the ship.

Thanks again!!

I hope the process works out swell for you.  The smaller the scale, the less detail required.  I used a ponce wheel when I was creating my plates back when I built the Great Republic.....but that method proved to be far too time consuming for me and for the time spent,...produced few plates for my labors.

So I opted for another method that I devised.  I was going to emboss each 8" strip of copper tape with segment lines and nail impressions....all in the same pass through my repurposed clothes roller.

I could roll out hundreds of these pre-impressed tape tiles to cover the over 2500 plates I would need for the job.

I, again used this method, when I copper plated my current Glory of the Seas hull.

Now, since neither of these vessels was plated with copper...but with muntz metal...I opted to paint the entire coppered hull with a metalic paint that mimicked the color of oxidized muntz....NOT copper.   I don't like shinny.

Here is a pic of the finished tape strips. and finished hull/model.

Good luck in your plating adventures.

post-2739-0-21436400-1469652100.jpg

IMG_9365_JPG_e098a7323d3d8f3395b346477c60df21 (2).jpg

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

HI John

Just managed to get to my copy of Longridges books, and "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak

CuttyPlates.thumb.jpg.8b79d075220f95e3c97958f873da93c0.jpg

One source has said that these plates would be in reality about 1mm or just over thick at this size.

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

3 hours ago, rwiederrich said:

Now, since neither of these vessels was plated with copper...but with muntz metal...I opted to paint the entire coppered hull with a metalic paint that mimicked the color of oxidized muntz....NOT copper.   I don't like shinny.

Here is a pic of the finished tape strips. and finished hull/model.

Good luck in your plating adventures.

Thanks for the word of encouragement. I am aware of the Muntz metal, I believe that they were made of a copper/zinc, and iron alloy the mix is 60/40 but muntz did mix in 7% iron, In which the copper took a hit in the percentage of the mix.

So I plan to petina the copper once I'm done with the plating.

CHEMICAL COMPOSITION

Cu

Fe

Pb

Zn

Min/Max

59.0 - 63.0

Rem

Nominals

-

-

Ref: https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9DunsdSpiiU8A1x5XNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzUEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1646978668/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.metalalloyscorporation.com%2fpdf%2fc28000-muntz-metal.pdf/RK=2/RS=pf4TEWC5IHUTB8RwD29cTKlTBZU-

Thanks for the image of the plates you made, That is what I plan on doing.

1 hour ago, Bob Fraser said:

HI John

Just managed to get to my copy of Longridges books, and "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak

WOW! Perfect! Just what I needed, THANKS so much

Edited by Dearborn

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

2 hours ago, Bob Fraser said:

Just managed to get to my copy of Longridges books

I just found this book on Amazon and bought it.

thanks again

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

Just a quick update:

I got the Copper tape delivered today. Now just waiting on the punch wheel, then it is on to making a jig to make my plates for the hull.

In the meantime, I'm going to waste a small amount of the tape to see how to best patina the copper some.

1094865817_CoppertapeforHullPlating.jpg.ff763f4a14c17eb532b88cf03bb70ed3.jpg

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

12 minutes ago, Dearborn said:

I'm going to waste a small amount of the tape to see how to best patina the copper some.

Great idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well after looking around at household chemicals and acidic foods (oranges, bananas and such) to patina my copper plates, I turned to bottled chemicals ready to purchase from the net. This is that I found and tried it out today. To get a darkened patina on the copper strips took only 30 minutes to get a nice look.

here is the stuff I used:

888744509_thejuiceforcopper.jpg.1f80b4e3ce3b5203bdadc6728729551c.jpg

And here is the results I cam up with:

1254821678_copperpatina.jpg.a656aa3e66ed55738768f663eadebf1d.jpg

Just to be clear, the strip on the left has been treated and the one on the right has not (for comparison).

As you can see, that the treated strip won't 'wash out' from the glare of the overhead lights like it does to the untreated one.

Edited by Dearborn

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

On another note: I got a few books in the mail the other day:

833247470_CuttySarkLongridgebook.jpg.79cb0bf66beae77984da878babf5856f.jpg

Edited by Dearborn

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds:

I'll tell you that the adhesive on the copper strips is very strong. In the image above, I taped a few test strips to a white board fragment I'm using to test on (so I didn't care or worry about what happened to it), but! I tried to remove one of the strips after it has been in place for 2 weeks - it took off the top surface of the white board with it, right down to the Masonite sub surface. So I like that aspect of the strips very much.

Now I won't have to worry about gluing on the copper plates that came with the kit and getting the glue all over everything.

Dearborn (AKA John)

Phoenix AZ

Past Builds: