help on four kits

I am a new member. I am not a sailor but I undertook a rebuild of a 40+ year old pond boat. I started with a rotted out balsam hull and wound up with the attached photo. While I was close to completing the project my wife suggested I make a model for each of my daughters! I said no way unless it comes in a kit. I searched the web for hours to complete the first boat and thought that buying kits would be simple. No way, still searching! Four different daughters, four different boats! I was hoping for 1:24 scale. Also hoping for wooden and/or metal product. Three seemed to be simple to search out but turn out to be difficult to find affordably. First would be a Florida everglade air boat, the second would be a 50's style runabout Cris craft style, lots of wood, on a trailer. Third would be a Chinese junk. The last one I knew would be hard since I have no idea what type of boat it is! I have tried an English wherry, a Viking faering, a Norwegian oselvar, and others. attached is a copy of John William Waterhouse's painting  "The Lady of Shallot" This is the fourth boat I need a kit for. Since I am looking for four kits, they need to reasonably priced. No R/C. I hope this is an appropriate post and that someone might help me

lady of shallot.jpg

jam&fie'.jpeg

Fie 2022-1.jpg

What's affordable ?

Here is a 1:24 model of a Yawl that might be a basis for your 4th boat..

Falkonet F0503 Four-Oared Yawl XIX Century $150 

This 1:24 Sailing yacht come in at $800

COREL CORSARO II WOOD SHIP MODEL KIT

There is not a lot of variety at 1:24 scale that I am aware of.

What kind of size when built are you looking for?

This information would be useful when looking at kits at various scales..

Common popular kit scales are 1:72, 1:64 and 1:48 .  

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Welcome to MSW, Mashantam.   I suggest you do an intro in the new member area.   As for kits... 1:24 is a bit rare.   

For the junk, check Woody Joe kits.  

There are kits for Chris Craft boats.  

As for the Glade's model and the English wherry, I'm not sure there are any kits for those so you may have to scratch build on those.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 hours ago, mtaylor said:

As for the Glade's model and the English wherry, I'm not sure there are any kits for those so you may have to scratch build on those.  

Given the subject matter, I doubt the boat in the famous painting was modeled after any actual boat, but was instead a product of the artist's imagination. There are lots of close up photos online of the vessel. You may wish to take and existing British type and add the stemhead ornamentation of the pictured boat. You will find a wonderful compendium of all similar small craft in Inshore Craft: Traditional Working Vessels of the British Isles, by Basil Greenhill. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search/?hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-browser_wavebrowser&param2=13a0c110-4dfc-4d18-beab-bcd933c51603&param3=wav~US~appfocus1~&param4=d-cp12177353273-lp0-hh6-obgc-wav-vuentp:on-igUHErMLUsbnTbmZQ-ab32-w64-brwsr-ntb-ntp~Chrome~inshore craft of the british Isles~B2D7D7656EB4E5153688637C8FBF7B49~Win10&param1=20210529&p=inshore craft of the british Isles&type=A1-brwsr-~2021-22~

This book contains lines drawings of many of the entries and these should be sufficient to scratch-build a model at any scale one desires. That will require a certain degree of lofting (drafting,) boatbuilding, woodworking, and modeling knowledge that will require some study given your stated experience level. Unfortunately, the scope of ship model kits is market-driven, and, consequentially, many beautiful craft go unrepresented by kit manufacturers. On the other hand, that's what makes well-done scratch-built models so appreciated and valued.

A "dollhouse scale" 1:12 miniature of the boat in the painting, including the pillows, candles, lantern and such (available from dollhouse supply catalogs) would be quite an interesting model. 

1*APBQJc0NLevdQDgjL9JLNQ.jpeg

It does look like someone has actually built a full-size replica of the boat in the famous painting.

maxresdefault.jpg

The Lady of Shallot

Wasn't this pretty much Dark Ages or Medieval?   As I see it, even the Saxon Sutton Ho boat was Scandinavian clinker.  They were pretty much it in northern Europe for a long span of centuries.

A kit of a Viking craft (even a smaller scale longboat) may pass as a larger scale wherry with adjustments to the stem and stern.  If you lose the bow dragon and lower the sheer it  should be close enough for government work.

NRG member 50 years

Current:  

NMS

HMS Ajax 1767 - 74-gun 3rd rate - 1:192 POF exploration - works but too intense -no margin for error

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - POF Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - POF Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner - POF framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner - POF timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835 packet hull USN ship - POF timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  - POF timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - POF framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - POF framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

The Dusek Knarr in 1:35 scale would make a good basis for the boat in the painting.  At a larger scale like 1:12 it would be about the right dimensions and it could be modified to fit the image.  Dumas makes some 1:24 kits of ChrisCraft boats.

image.jpeg.28ca48cf0546d9f7ce7bd4384dfa6f47.jpeg

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.