I am working on a scratch build of the CW Morgan whaler and started putting in the various chocks and holes in the bulwarks.  I noticed that there is a hole for the fluke chain pipe on the starboard bow side of the ship but not on the port side.  Am I correct in assuming that the fluke being referred to is the anchor fluke and a chain is attached to it that comes through this hole.  If that is the case, what about the port side anchor?  The pictures I took of the Morgan at Mystic don't have the anchors rigged to the boat.  Currently, just a mooring line comes through the starboard side hole.  I am not there yet and won't be for a while, but when the time comes, how are the anchors rigged if there are not symmetric holes?  In the meantime I will be "googling" for pics of the CWM with the anchors rigged as well as searching the forums here.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Were there two anchors?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes there are two. The plans from Ben Lankford (Model Shipways) say to build an anchor for port and starboard. I just came across picture in the Leavitt book (pages 98 & 99) taken from the bowsprit looking aft and there are two anchors.  
Tom

Edited by toms10
Added more info

As I recall my CWM plans from The Marine Model Company only showed one anchor drawn. However, I researched the anchor rigging extensively and determined there should be two and how they should be rigged from the anchor chain to the stowing of the anchor on to the bulwarks. I don’t recall any specific sources of the information there were many. 🤪

Here are a couple of photos of the result from my CWM build that might be helpful. 

22187E6A-EFD6-4DF4-9F21-21E64A02B3AF.jpeg.a52a4f896f9c96195c52e8da1c1b0fa4.jpeg63C16DA5-9367-4FAF-AA51-0E8AD06BDBFA.jpeg.61347a7d0ec9f4e78a6bc6da2bf80d86.jpegD150CBDD-B908-418C-AA0B-1C5446C0792B.jpeg.65018084886295dbde759bc94281305b.jpeg

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Thanks John. The pics are very helpful. Based on these it looks like the fluke chain pipe in question doesn’t even come into play.  I was hoping to get to Mystic around Memorial Day or so. That will be a great chance to try to ask someone there. I won’t be rigging any anchors anytime soon, just want to get all the necessary holes in the hull before I paint and copper. 

Thanks again. 
Tom

Tom,

Are you referring to the hawse pipe on the starboard side? I believe the fluke chain was used to tie up the harpooned whale by its Fluke along side the whale ship. 

image.thumb.jpg.3d4b2f65f1c761500becb6ee50d8b32e.jpg
I have this photo in my display case. You can see the Fluke Chain hanging in the water toward the bow just past the stowed whaleboat. 

John

Yes John that is it. I assumed that the fluke meant the fluke on the anchor not the fluke on the whale!  That explains why it is only on the starboard side which is the side they bring up the whale on. Now it all makes sense. 🤔😁. You may have just saved what little sanity I have left. This is my first model that is not a warship so I didn’t even think of the fluke on the whale. 😜

Thank you again

Tom

Tom,

Glad I could help…

Speaking of warships, when you get ready to paint the hull of your CWM you’ll want to consider the era you wish to represent. These Whalers were painted to look like a warship (i.e. White stripe and mock Gun Portals) to keep the natives of the South Pacific from attacking their vessel. 😎

Your Morgan is looking Great! 
John

I am going to skip the fake gun ports and take my chances with the natives. 😂

Tom

Hi Charles,

The book is by John Leavitt.  You can pick it up used for less than $10.  Here is a picture of the cover.

leavitt.jpg.e3a45302b2b764d6dc72c7112b8b453b.jpg

Binding: Paperback
ISBN: 0913372102
EAN: 9780913372104
Book Title: Charles w. Morgan
Publisher: Mystic Seaport Museum, Incorporated
Publication Year: 1970
Language: English
Item Length: 8in., Width: 9in., Height: 0.4in.
Author: John F. Leavitt
Item Weight: 13.6 Oz
Number of Pages: 124 Pages

Tom

Edited by toms10

toms10:

Thanks for the information.  My introduction to now, John Leavitt, makes him the third Leavitt I know of in the ship modeling world.  There is Clyde Leavitt of Mechanics Illustrated/Lexington fame and Walter Leavitt, maker of a version of the colonial Hanna on display at the Phillips Academy's, Addison Gallery of American Art, at Andover MA.   I am left to wonder, is there a familial connection between these Leavitts?