USNA Museum 3D Tour

Came across this link in Shipmate, USNA Alumni Associate magazine.  Felt that this group would enjoy the tour.  usna.edu/museum/3dtour.php

Enjoy, Brian

Regards, Brian

Completed: Chesapeake Bay Flattie (first kit build)

USS ENGAGE (first scratch build)

Under Construction: USS CONSTITUTION (BlueJacket Ship Crafters Kit - modified)

Thanks Brian,

Probably just me, but how do you get out of the lobby and onto the other floor level where all the models are?  Their idea is great but I cannot figure how to get to where the good stuff is which I think was on a different floor lever, including the wood shop where they repair, etc.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

They've changed the lobby since my last visit before the pandemic. Now you access the Age of Sail in the right rear of the main floor where the elevator and steps are. I was able to get there in the 3D tour. As far as the basement where Grant's office, the library and all the good stuff happens there used to be a bookstore and window into the ship model repair shop but I don't know if that's still available to the general public. Grant once gave me a private tour of the top floor where many models were stored.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

the digital tour starts at the front door.  Go through the doorway that says Enter Here, then bear right.  There is a yellow sign on a stand at the entrance to the stairwell.  You have to literally keep clicking to go up the stairwell to the next floor where all the good stuff is.  I couldn’t find a shortcut.

Simply breathtaking exibit.  I especially like their collection of stands and cases

Edited by CiscoH

If anyone has an opportunity to visit, don't miss the chance.  I was lucky to tour with Grant Walker on one of several visits (see photo I took below).  Ed Tosti, Wayne Kempson and I carpooled to Preble and had a grand day.

Allan

1009474667_EdGrantWayneKeith.thumb.jpg.e554dbbb5e5f8f4f3ea76f51a26ff00b.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

To navigate through the museum, there are faint circles on the floor, click on them and you will move to that spot.  To quickly move to the second floor, in the lower left corner, hover your cursor over the icon that looks like a stack of papers, a selection box will pop up and you will be able to click on 2nd Floor and it will transport you there.

Regards, Brian

17 hours ago, thibaultron said:

For some reason I can't seem to get to it on my computer. Strange, I tried Firefox and Edge.

Ron, I have had success with Firefox and Chrome.  So, not sure what is exactly going on there.  I copy the link (wish it would hyper-link) and in the search bar at the top of the browser, right click and click Paste and go.  I just tried on all three browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) and only Chrome got me there this time.  The other two timed out.  Could be the site itself.

Edited by Brian Falke
Clarification

Regards, Brian

• 3 weeks later...

It works on my Safari 15.5 ... have to continue explore a bit more.

Way back in December 1999 I was in Arlington for a conference and took the opportunity to visit a naval museum in the region. It seems that one was not allowed to take pictures. Otherwise there would be a record in my photographic diary (meticulously kept since 1972 ...). I have no other record of the museum, but my memory. However, I do not remember, which museum it was. It was accessible by public transport from Arlington, so much I remember. Anyone any idea?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg