Thick rope

I’m getting close to finishing my first build:  the Model Shipways Banks Dory.

One of the last steps is the beckets.  The rope supplied with the kit is 2 mm beige jewelry nylon, which is roughly 2 scale inches (1:24) in diameter.

The pre-drilled holes are about 1 mm diameter.

2 inches seems like a very thick rope for lifting a small boat.

Question:  Should I drill the holes out or get thinner rope?  Or is there another option?

image.jpg

Edited by Mark m
Added photo

Yes, I thought the line was way to thick when I built the dory . I bought some 1 rigging line  because I  did not want to enlarge the holes  so much and then have the rope look out of scale.  I had to enlarge the holes some for the 1 mm line but, I think looks much better.  It is a small detail, but it is the details that add a lot to the model.  I think even a bit thinner line  ?0 .8 mm would have been fine.  I had a similar problem on the lobster smack. The line supplied was too thick to work well with the turnbuckles in the kit. 

Current Build:  Sultana 1:64

Completed: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

NRG 18th Century Merchantman Half Hull Project

That kit rope actually doesn't look too bad for once!

https://syrenshipmodelcompany.com/ Has some excellent rope.

My store https://ropesofscale.com/ has light beige and Tan Rope. 1mm or .8mm would work for that Dory. If you buy one bag from me the shipping is cheap as I can send it by a stamped envelope. That is until the post service catch on that I'm doing that 😁

18 minutes ago, BenD said:

My store https://ropesofscale.com/ has light beige and Tan Rope. 1mm or .8mm would work for that Dory. If you buy one bag from me the shipping is cheap as I can send it by a stamped envelope. That is until the post service catch on that I'm doing that 😁

Aha!  A rope expert.

What is the difference between cable-laid rope and polyester?

Im in the US, but will be in Canada near Toronto in about a month.  Do you have a physical store, or online only?

5 minutes ago, Mark m said:

What is the difference between cable-laid rope and polyester?

Cable-laid is for anchors on ships, you wont need it for your Dory. Polyester is the thread I use for making my synthetic ropes. I do have cotton rope but it looks a little rougher and fuzzy.

9 minutes ago, Mark m said:

Im in the US, but will be in Canada near Toronto in about a month.  Do you have a physical store, or online only?

Online only.

• 5 weeks later...

Polyester likes to go nuts. I do heat them so the rope doesn't unravel wildly when cut, but they do unravel and fuzz up when worked with. Id say use some CA glue or PVA and cut the fuzzy end off.

On real ropes you would add whipping to the ends of the ropes.

433225946_Sailmakerswhipping.png.4ef9c58571797f32539ef044f0684a87.png

42 minutes ago, Mark m said:

What, if anything, should I have done about the fraying ends?  Real rope frays, but this looks excessive.

The frayed end in PIC 1 of post #8 doesn't look too bad.  Remember, this is a crappy @$$ed fishing boat, not a naval launch.  I'm not sure how much time they are going to spend whipping the ends of lines.  "Tie the knot and let's get back out on the water."

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)