IJN Nagato by rumbeard - FINISHED - Piececool - ~1:837

Hello, Andrew.

First, welcome to Model Ship World! These are interesting models, but posting a single link in a post is not really what we intend a build log to be. Because metal models are kind of a niche medium, we don't have a designated area for them. I'm thinking the best option would be for you to create an album in the kit models gallery and show us some of the finished models. You could certainly provide the link in the description of your album. In addition, your description should tell us something about the Piececool kits in general, as I doubt that many of our members know of them, but they would probably be curious about them.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

There is a brief build log of a small-scale metal USS Arizona I posted ... it was a 'break' from a much longer project of a wooden model.  The the metal  medium may be of interest to some (like me) who would never attempt metalwork if it were not in kit form - thus fully engineered.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Hello, Andrew.

First, welcome to Model Ship World! These are interesting models, but posting a single link in a post is not really what we intend a build log to be. Because metal models are kind of a niche medium, we don't have a designated area for them. I'm thinking the best option would be for you to create an album in the kit models gallery and show us some of the finished models. You could certainly provide the link in the description of your album. In addition, your description should tell us something about the Piececool kits in general, as I doubt that many of our members know of them, but they would probably be curious about them.

Cheers!

Ahoy Chris!  'Had to do a double-take on certain metal ship models offered by the Piececool brand, since I have a couple by Metal Earth (Iconix) kits that are 'ringers' for the photos in the link.  So I did some research and found that Piececool and Metal Earth  are different brand names for the same products engineered by Tenyo, a noted Japanese manufacturer of an eclectic variety of 'thin metal' assembly models (ships are a small subset) ... there is no piracy involved. 

Metal Earth is intended for U.S. sales, whereas Piececool is marketed in China - same ship kits.  You can get either legitimately on-line, and Amazon carries some of the both brand's product line.  The quality level (according to a metal molders' review) sets the standard, whereas the ARE some 'other' brand names that are copy-cats with lower quality (e.g. thinner metal that breaks easier).

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Greetings and welcome Andrew. Go to the New Member Introduction area and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about yourself. This is where you meet the folks. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I'd love to do a specialized area for this genre.  The Piececool kits are like Metal Earth but a lot more detailed.  If you look at the Missouri which is printed in both brands the Piececool one is far more detailed, better textured, and has more sheets.  In the card genre where we translate from Polish a lot the Piececool sheets have to be translated from Chinese or Japanese sometimes and there are folks that do pdf translated instruction sheets for the kits that don't have english specific releases.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:24 AM, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

Ahoy Chris!  'Had to do a double-take on certain metal ship models offered by the Piececool brand, since I have a couple by Metal Earth (Iconix) kits that are 'ringers' for the photos in the link.  So I did some research and found that Piececool and Metal Earth  are different brand names for the same products engineered by Tenyo, a noted Japanese manufacturer of an eclectic variety of 'thin metal' assembly models (ships are a small subset) ... there is no piracy involved. 

Metal Earth is intended for U.S. sales, whereas Piececool is marketed in China - same ship kits.  You can get either legitimately on-line, and Amazon carries some of the both brand's product line.  The quality level (according to a metal molders' review) sets the standard, whereas the ARE some 'other' brand names that are copy-cats with lower quality (e.g. thinner metal that breaks easier).

The one thing often sold by third parties is taking a kit and recoloring or colorizing the silver only or silver+brass kits.  In this genre also some people paint them and discuss their experiences as the material sometimes doesn't take paint well and you have to do some things to get paint to stick.

• 3 weeks later...