Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

800px-Akula%26Ryurik1913.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

beat me to it patrick

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

dont forget that Russians have not been using imperial feet nor the metric meters in 1906. that might be different sort of measures...

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Excellent point, Pav!  From wikipedia:

The basic unit is the Russian cubit, called arshin, which has been in use since the 16th century. It was standardized by Peter the Great in the 18th century to measure exactly twenty-eight English inches (71.1 cm).

Thus, 80 vershoks = 20 piads = 5 arshins = 140 English inches.

A piad (пядь, “palm”, “five”) or chetvert (че́тверть, “quarter”) is a hand span, the distance between ends of the spread thumb and index finger.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Pav,

I love that this site keps forcing us to do research!  I checked and up until 1924 the basic Russian unit of measurment was the arshin, which is the equivalent of 28 inches.  So if the Akula is drawing eleven arshins that means there's almost 26 feet of her under water!

Patrick

Akula (RussianАкула - Shark) was a submarine built for the Imperial Russian Navy. The boat was designed by Ivan Bubnov and was an amalgam of the previous Minoga and the Kasatka class submarine designs. The design was presented to the Marine technical committee in late 1905. Initially the boat was to use petrol engines but these were replaced by safer diesels. The boat's design was a single hull/ saddle tank type with a diving depth of 25 fathoms (45 m). Significant initial problems were experienced and the electric motor and propellers which needed to be replaced. Akula was the first Russian submarine able to cruise long distances. In 1912 Akula made the world's first multi-torpedo volley with five torpedoes.

She subsequently served in the Baltic Fleet during World War I making 16 patrols and unsuccessfully attacked the German battleship SMS Beowulf. She struck a mine and sank near Ventspils in November 1915 on her 17th patrol.

Displacement: 370 long tons (380 t) surfaced
475 tons (471 m³) submerged Length: 56 m Beam: 3.7 m (12 ft 2 in) Draft: 3.4 m (11 ft 2 in) Propulsion: 3 shaft Diesel electric
3 diesel engines 1,900 hp (1.4 MW)
1 electric motor 300 hp (220 kW) Speed: 10.6 knots (19.6 km/h) surfaced
4.6 knots (9 km/h) submerged Range: 1,900 nautical miles (3,500 km) surfaced, 38 nmi (70 km) submerged Complement: 34 Armament: 4 x 18-inch (457 mm) torpedo tubes (bow) and 4 drop collars

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I'm not sure what to do.  I'm leaving in about an hour for the weekend and won't be back until Monday afternoon and won't have Internet access while I'm gone.  I don't want to hold up the game but if we don't get confirmation from Spyglass before I go I won't be able to post a new ship until Monday.

Patrick

Hello Patrick,

Rule number 4 in the game says: If the player whose turn it is has not replied in a fortnight, then the previous winner gets to post again.

So It's not a problem, you won't hold up the game.

Just go and enjoy the Easter weekend. We will see you when you get back.

Maybe Spyglass is already enjoying his weekend as well.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

OK. Another web site gives this photo as HNLMS class "Hydra". It could be the Hydra, Ever, Das, Dog,Fret, Geep, Gier, Havik, Raaf, Brak, Lynx, Vos, Bever or the Sperwer. built in the Dutch shipyards Christie, Nolet & De Kuyper and Feijenoord Mij in the years 1870 to 1880.

Edited by st george

David

Current Build : HMAV Bounty - Amati

Next Build : 18th Century Longboat

At first I was thinking it might be the Mystic Whaler, but the aft deck house and rigging don't look right.  By any chance is it the Carthaginian II - now a reef off Lahiana Harbor in Hawaii?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus