Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

would this count? she was a real ship, altough you cannot really say her name or distinguish what she was from just this picture. if it is too hard let me know and i will name her and find a different one.

she was french, and in her times she was top tech...

post-144-0-95135600-1364152663.jpg

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

well, this is a typical norman ship, so we must search in france history from year 900 to 1100...more or less

Done:          Venetian Polacre http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/7290-venetian-polacre-by-cristiano-sec-xviii-from-original-drawings/

Halifax  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/844-halifax/

Ranger  https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2175-ranger-revenue-cutter-by-corel/   

HM Bark Endeavour (Corel kit heavily kitbashed) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/125-hmbark-endeavour-corel-kit-bashed/                                              

Venetian Galleon (from scratch) - Pirate Junk - Sicilian Speronara (from scratch)

On the shelf (still packed):     Artesania Le Hussard....

The White Ship aka Le Blanche Nef sank crossing the English Channel in 1120.  She carried the only legitimate son of King Henry I of England and over a hundred other members of French and English nobility.

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Tjeerd: just google "White Ship Disaster 1120".  I don't recall seeing any contemporary paintings or tapestries showing people on ships in proportion so I don't believe the drawing was contemporary, but it is consistent with contemporary art depicting the disaster.

Back to "Name That Ship":

post-70-0-53110300-1364205744_thumb.jpg

Edited by molasses

I am almost certain this guess is probably incorrect.

But, Damn!, there are similiarities to the old girl herself ....

So ... here goes (sigh)

Is it USS Constitution ... ??

(If so, Congrats on the old picture!!!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Not Bristol or Conny.  Only a "Blackwall Frigate" by the very loosest interpretation of that description.

Well done, st george.  The photo showed the name Star of India (which I retouched out) near the bow, but the photo was taken before the rig was changed to a barque.  This photo is the only I found of Euterpe/Star of India with a stern gallery.  Earlier photos of Euterpe (before 1901) don't show a stern gallery and those after the rig change (in 1906) also don't show it.  Had hoped that detail would throw you all off.

I know the San Diego Maritime Museum claims Star of India as the oldest active sailing vessel in the world, but they have to exclude Constitution from that list, somehow.  She was built in 1863 from iron, one of the first.  Since naval architects and ship wrights didn't know how much iron to use to substitute for the familiar wood framing and sheathing, Euterpe was overbuilt compared to similar iron ships built just a few years later - no doubt a major contributing factor to her longevity.

It's your turn, st george.

Thermopylae?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Jan,

Was Wayne's answer correct or.... someone else's?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She's a great ship and worth a visit if you ever go to San Diego.

Lets see who gets this Vessel.

attachicon.gifsea witch.jpg

some thing strange about the bowspit on photo

were the lower yards turned in when along side

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat