Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

I know, but you'll probably have to wait over 24 hours if he confirms..... (I don't know whether or not I will be next to my PC tomorrow)

So if he confirms, mine is already there, if he doesn't (which I seriously doubt, given his clues), ignore my previous post

Jan

Hi All,

Just got in to work and quickly checked the site.  Well done Jan you are correct.

The HMS Polyphemus was a torpedo ram, a shallow draft high speed torpedo boat with a strengthened bow for ramming ships.  Its role was to penetrate enemy held harbours and do as much damage as possible.

H. G. Wells fictional 'HMS Thunder Child' was called a torpedo ram in his novel War of the Worlds and since Polyphemus was the only type in the Royal Navy at the time it was suggested it was based on this.

As Jan said Polyphemus is the name of a Cyclops.  Thats how I came across it, trying to find a ship with a Cyclops name.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Jan,

I've tried and failed.  Most ships I need some input from someone else (usually you!) to get me heading down the right track.

Not sure where to begin with this one.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Think I got it.

SS Slamat?

Cheers

Slog

Almost. ;) You got the shipping line correct, and the period by about 5 years.

Slamat was slightly newer, and slightly larger than theone we're looking for.

This one was (to a certain extent) a novelty for the Rotterdamsche Lloyd.

Jan

Okay, pretty sure its the SS Patria as finally found the image on a Dutch site.

Cheers

Slog

Okay,

Here we go again.

An Ironclad.  Its been owned by 2 different nations so either name acceptable.

post-273-0-63083100-1402813578_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Slog

Hi guys,

Doreltomin, has it;  CSS Stonewall - Kotetsu.

Your turn!

Thank you, Captain Slog!

Actually, your choice was a very interesting ironclad so would you mind if I post here some things about her background?

She was built by France in 1864 for the Confederate forces. For a short time she was given to the Danish to help them in their war against the Prussians and therefore for a short interval called Staerkodder. Equally interesting, her sister ship Cheops was sold to Prussian Navy, becoming the Prinz Adalbert! So it can be said the French were just neutral: they helped both parties!

But the war ended soon and the ship was sold again to the building yard which turned her again to the Confederate forces. Sometime shortly after 7 January 1865 the vessel took on a Confederate crew and was recommissioned at sea as CSS Stonewall.

The arrival of the "formidable" Stonewall in America was dreaded by the United States and several ships tried to intercept her; among them the USS Kearsarge and the USS Sacramento. Especially, in February and March, the USS Niagara and the Sacramento laid at Ferrol, Spain, to prevent Stonewall from departing, but the much more powerful southern ship was able to make good her escape.

After an eventful crossing of the Atlantic Ocean, she eventually arrived in North American waters near the end of the American Civil War, too late to have a significant effect, as by the time of her October 1864 commissioning the Confederacy was in disarray and near defeat, its navy disintegrating along with most other Confederate institutions. To avoid surrendering the vessel to Union hands, Captain Page sailed her into Havana harbor and turned her over to the Captain General of Cuba for the sum of $16,000.

The vessel was then turned over to United States authorities in return for reimbursement of the same amount, was temporarily de-commissionned, stationed at a US Navy dock until she was offered for sale to the Japanese government of the Tokugawa shogunate.

We now turn to the next mystery photo. Which ship is this?

post-4317-0-04364300-1402920578.jpg

Edited by Doreltomin

Still not quite sure of exact name (or even if correct) - is it the Natalie or Natalya?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It's close to that, however it's not a girl's name!

I know that given the fact that is a foreign name (and not written in Latinic alphabet) it can be spelled in different ways; any transliteration can be equally good.

Meanwhile, enjoy another beautiful detail of her!

post-4317-0-33784800-1403102708.jpg

Edited by Doreltomin

That was a tough one!  Here's the next one up...

post-891-0-37426000-1403212990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Blue Funnel Line "A" Class vessel:

"A" Boats Built In the Fleet Tons Adrastus 1953 Dutch Flag. 7,859 Aeneas 1947 Scrapped in 1972. 7,641 Agapenor 1947 Trapped in the Suez Canal 1967. 7,664 Alcinous  1952 Dutch Flag. 7,799 Antilochus 1949 In the fleet 1973. 7,635 Ascanius 1950 Left the fleet 1972. 7,692 Astyanax 1948 In the fleet 1973. 7,654 Atreus 1951 In the fleet 1973. 7,800 Autolycus 1949 In the fleet 1973. 7,635 Automedon 1949 Scrapped in 1971. 7,636 Calchas 1947 Lost through fire 1973. 7,639 Clytoneus 1948 Scrapped in 1972. 7,620 Cyclops 1948 In the fleet 1973. 7,632 Elpenor 1954 In the fleet 1973. 7,757 Eumaeus 1953 Dutch Flag. 7,681 Laertes 1950 Dutch Flag. 7,664 Laomedon 1953 In the fleet 1973. 7,684 Lycaon 1954 Dutch Flag. 7,859

Table from: http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/blue_funnel_home/a_boats/a_class.htm

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Spent so much time looking for last one I didn't think to come up with a good one.  Of course I'll give it to you Andy as there are no real distinguishing marks....of course I would have awarded bonus points for a guess at the relevant one......which was Cyclops  :D

Over to you Andy.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished: