Grating of 16th century English galleon - different method used?

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

Hi All,

I am currently scratch building Golden Hind and I am about to start on grating. So far I could not find any historical data on grating of 16th century English Galleon anywhere. All the build logs that I am referencing also applied more or less generic/usual grating methods. I am wondering if anyone has encountered any historical evidence of 16th century English galleon grating, be it the method usually applied or something else entirely. Thanks all in advance for your help on this topic!

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

• Solution

Rock,

The big IF, is do you want your gratings to look like real gratings?  If you do, you will have to make your own or can get them from Syren but I don't know if the scales offered match your kit.  Most kits either laser cut the openings or use  interlocking strips rather than using ledges and battens and most of these are totally out of scale. 

I suspect the construction would have been similar even in the 16th century.  If that is the case the below may be of some help to you.  Keep in mind the openings should be about 2.5" to 3" square.  Do a search on gratings here at MSW on how to make these.

Allan

455059265_GratingandCoamiings.JPG.9c5c525149baa9fe432edff54abb5405.JPG

1591019681_Gratings3.JPG.b076fb5480cc8ce7e8d44d018d796999.JPG

Gratings.JPG.be450e2e0af15aae825f760dd23e81b2.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, Rock_From_Korea said:

I am wondering if anyone has encountered any historical evidence of 16th century English galleon grating

No

But,

I do have a non-binding opinion about late 16th, early 17 th century grating  (post 406)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I can't rely on the accuracy of this image, but it is contemporary - perhaps the 1590's - supposedly the capture of the Cacafuego by the Golden Hind. It's the only one I've been able to find. Hope it helps.

image.png.f7e0c6bd81c24c90dbe867a54f2e5918.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

12 hours ago, allanyed said:

Rock,

The big IF, is do you want your gratings to look like real gratings?  If you do, you will have to make your own or can get them from Syren but I don't know if the scales offered match your kit.  Most kits either laser cut the openings or use  interlocking strips rather than using ledges and battens and most of these are totally out of scale. 

I suspect the construction would have been similar even in the 16th century.  If that is the case the below may be of some help to you.  Keep in mind the openings should be about 2.5" to 3" square.  Do a search on gratings here at MSW on how to make these.

Allan

455059265_GratingandCoamiings.JPG.9c5c525149baa9fe432edff54abb5405.JPG

1591019681_Gratings3.JPG.b076fb5480cc8ce7e8d44d018d796999.JPG

Gratings.JPG.be450e2e0af15aae825f760dd23e81b2.JPG

Hi Allan,

Thanks so much for the detailed pictures of how correct grating should be! Much appreciated and will be definitely quite helpful for my grating on Golden Hind.

Best regards,

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

12 hours ago, Baker said:

No

But,

I do have a non-binding opinion about late 16th, early 17 th century grating  (post 406)

Hi Patrick,

Thanks so much for your input! I wonder why I did not notice the different method you applied to your grating although I am following your build log quite closely. I think unless I find new historical evidence of 16th century grating, I may follow your footsteps. I hope you don't mind me benchmarking your grating method!

Regards, Rock

13 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

I can't rely on the accuracy of this image, but it is contemporary - perhaps the 1590's - supposedly the capture of the Cacafuego by the Golden Hind. It's the only one I've been able to find. Hope it helps.

image.png.f7e0c6bd81c24c90dbe867a54f2e5918.png

Steven

Hi Steven,

Thanks very much for your input on this subject! I dug deeper on your picture above and I found the following description of the above picture in a book 'Sir Francis Drake: The Queen's Pirate' and actually the Caca Fogo is depicted as Drake's ship firing on Caca Plata. A bit confusing as in the same book 2 explanations are given : 1) in one account Caca Fogo seems to be a ship captured by Drake, 2) in another, Caca Plata is the Spanish ship and Caca Fogo is Drake's ship (new nick name obtained through Drake's Spanish captives).  Anyway, the flags seem to suggest that Caca Fogo is under English command, and Caca Plata under Spanish. I was planning to apply similar design (to Caca Fogo) for balcony and entrance to quarterdeck on my Golden Hind. This picture gives me some support for the direction I am heading at.

Edited by Rock_From_Korea

Regards, Rock