Golden Hind by Rock_From_Korea - 1:48

Hi All~ Happy New Year!

I recently started working on my first scratch build project, Golden Hind. I will be using Aeropiccola plans as basis, but I will refer to several other blueprints and build logs as well. If the end product is satisfactory, I plan to make about 4 more scratch built Golden Hinds to give out to my close friends as gifts. This one is a prototype build that I will give to my daughter as present when finished - correction on 22 March 2023 : major deviation from original plan...this prototype will also be given out as present to one of my dear friend/mentor. I am planning to finish GH2 as well and give him the choice between GH1 and GH2. Although the delivery may be quite delayed as he is residing in NY and Hawaii. He may be getting a place in Seoul in the  future, at which point I will be able to deliver him either GH1 or GH2.

The basic wood I will be using for most of bulkheads and 1st planking will be processed from cypress wood logs that were lying around at home. And since I have no table saw (not easy to use in an apartment in Korea anyway), I sawed manually most of the wood panels and strip woods. For strips, I devised a small home made drill saw(?) and used them to make most of the strip materials . 

I couldn't find a woodworking shop nearby that can cut thick logs into thin panels. So I'll just apply this brute method this time, but I'll have to find a woodworking shop for my next projects and make these panels and wood strips in an easier manner. I probably need to search outside Seoul for this task.

Below are the pictures of manual sawing and the wood panel obtained at the end. Cypress logs were cut into 7 mm thick pieces. It's a lot of exercise!

P1050606.JPG

P1050652.JPG

P1050629.JPG

Edited by Rock_From_Korea
changes in contents

Regards, Rock

Current project : Golden Hind 1:48 scratch build

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Initial frame and bulkhead works more or less finished after extensive sawing and sanding!! Anyway, the nice smell of cypress wood during these works definitely provided enough consolation.

P1050653.JPG

P1050654.JPG

P1050655.JPG

Regards, Rock

Finished projects : HMS Endeavor 1:60 CorelKorean Turtle Ship 1:64 Young Modeler

Nice start. 

All this work without a table saw 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Impressive.  The more I read these forums and build logs the more I realize how much there is to learn.  And how may impressive modelers 'reside here.'

I look forward to watching this log.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

13 hours ago, Backer said:

Nice start. 

All this work without a table saw 👍

Thank you, Patrick! 

I think I will really need to get a mini table saw that has low noise levels to be operated in an apartment! Also, I will definitely try to locate a woodworking shop for the panel sawing next time.

Rock

Regards, Rock

1 hour ago, robert952 said:

Impressive.  The more I read these forums and build logs the more I realize how much there is to learn.  And how may impressive modelers 'reside here.'

I look forward to watching this log.

Thanks very much, Robert!

Regards, Rock

Hi everyone~

Basic hull frame work continues. I was thinking about replacing the keel, bow and stern section with hardwood, but realized that I lacked  suitable material. So, I decided to just work with cypress wood for these sections. Once I get hold of a mini table saw, I plan to use hard woods processed from the mini table saw for my next projects. For the time being, I will need to make do with a false keel. 

P1050656.JPG

P1050658.JPG

P1050659.JPG

Regards, Rock

The space between the bulkheads at the bottom of the hull will be filled with left-over cypress woods as ballast and planking aid.

P1050663.JPG

P1050664.JPG

P1050667.JPG

P1050668.JPG

Regards, Rock

For the filling of the front section of the bow, I am using a much softer wood  (which was salvaged from the sides and rear of my daughter's decommissioned cabinet drawers), and this softwood will also be used to fill the upper part of the hull.

P1050665.JPG

P1050666.JPG

P1050657.JPG

P1050660.JPG

Regards, Rock

The filling of the lower part of the hull is almost complete. The cypress wood fillings at the bottom of the hull make the ship quite heavy and balanced.

P1050674.JPG

P1050675.JPG

Regards, Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been a while since my last update. I managed to find a wood working shop near Seoul and had the cypress cut cleanly into different sizes and shapes. Unfortunately, this shop was also unable to cut wider (more than 15 cm) panels and I had to be satisfied with 8 cm wide panels which were cut into 6mm thick panels as well as 2mm strips, 1cm x 1cm (for mast) and etc. In the wood work shop I found 3.5mm small wood panels (waiting to be burnt for fuel) that could potentially be used as bulkheads when laminated. I could not resist the temptation of testing these new materials for my 2nd Golden Hind (earmarked as present for one of my dear friends) and immediately started the building of basic frames for GH2.

I am quite satisfied with the results and decided to use these materials for my subsequent Golden Hinds. I also decided to work on GH2 in tandem with my Golden Hind prototype as there are quite a few different methods, styles and applications  that I would like to try.

Mozart and Beethoven helping out on keeping the laminated panels straight.

P1050685.JPG

P1050698.JPG

P1050684.JPG

P1050688.JPG

Regards, Rock

Back to Golden Hind prototype - worked on strengthening the structure of main deck and forecastle area. Also, tested fitting the decks into the frames.

The 3.5 mm wood panels saved from the wood working shop are utilized for decks. 

P1050678.JPG

P1050679.JPG

P1050680.JPG

P1050687.JPG

P1050689.JPG

P1050690.JPG

P1050691.JPG

P1050692.JPG

P1050696.JPG

Regards, Rock

Hi All,

Work in the shipyard is progressing slowly as this is my first scratch build project and also I am effectively building 2 ships at the same time. There are just a lot of things to consider and think about on this scratch build project. I thought I had planned much in advance, but as I progress it seems that there were just a lot more aspects that I did not consider before beginning my first scratch project. Nonetheless, this project is making me consider a lot more areas compared to when building a kit model and I think I am learning a lot along the way. Also, the start of GH2 is helping much in terms of trying different methods from GH1, modifying and maybe enhancing some designs here and there and applying to GH2 right away to see the effects and etc. 

The GH1 progress pictures including more structure strengthening, various deck base laying, building the masts slots and platforms are included below.

Aftcastle structure strengthening, mizzen mast platform.

P1050697.JPG

P1050699.JPG

Regards, Rock

Bowsprit installment test, and the testing of overall mast instalments.

P1050707.JPG

P1050708.JPG

P1050709.JPG

Regards, Rock

Various hidden deck bases are finished and the overall shape so far looks as below.

P1050711.JPG

P1050712.JPG

P1050713.JPG

P1050714.JPG

Regards, Rock

Nic work,

Building a model from scrap is indeed more complex than a kit model.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

After the basic skeletal work, the planking work begins. I decided to use filler mainly  in the bow and stern areas and not fill in the middle section. This time I am trying something a little different.  I tried to fasten some of the plank sections with tree nails as an assisting medium during planking and it seemed to be quite helpful. The tree nail has a size (1mm) that does not fit the scale (30-40% larger than the scale ), but it is the thinnest material I can come up with at the moment. So, I will just go ahead and see how it looks like for the prototype. The upper part of the waterline boundary wale is only going to be planked only with 1st planking, so I started from this area and tried the tree nail assisted planking.

P1050724.thumb.JPG.bb78f1fa98f35dbd3b41937932049420.JPG

Preliminary testing of the tree nails show that they definitely look bigger than they should. But, I will need to try this on my prototype as it is my only option at the moment. I will continue looking for a smaller diameter solution.

P1050732.thumb.JPG.c89e72aa87dbd290bd1e173860d9e7d0.JPG

I used end of the tooth picks (dyed) as tree nails. 

P1050733.thumb.JPG.d4269ed301bb7998cc565233dc5f04e2.JPG

Regards, Rock

First plank laid. The tree nail assisted planking does help fix the planks in place. At the end of the day, these tree nails were used to fix the planks in real ships anyway.

P1050725.JPG

P1050726.JPG

P1050727.JPG

Regards, Rock

4th planks laid and the one below this plank will have a wale put on top of the base plank (cypress). As I do not have a proper thick hard wood, I will have to apply a hardwood that is in similar thickness to the base planks on top in order to show protrusion. I am trying to get hold of more hard wood materials. Hopefully, GH2 and beyond will have proper wales. The planking below the waterline wale will have a cypress base planking and a 2nd layer of thin, dark hardwood 2nd planking.

P1050736.JPG

P1050737.JPG

Regards, Rock

Very nice planking

But it is best to taper the planks towards the bow.
Otherwise you could get in trouble later.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Regards, Patrick

'Looks fine.  Sworn testimony from deSilva (a Portuguese navigator Drake had on board from Brazil to the other side of Mexico) indicates a broadside of seven guns on each side - and period depictions of Drakes 'Caribbean Fleet' show 5 on each side on the weather deck (like your plans) plus 2 on each side of the quarter deck (presumably smaller guns) - just like many French race-built galleons that deSilva attested the Pelican (Golden Hind) to be.  That left 2 stern guns and two bow chasers.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

9 hours ago, Baker said:

Very nice planking

But it is best to taper the planks towards the bow.
Otherwise you could get in trouble later.

https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/

Hi Patrick,

Yes, of course~! Tapering will begin from the plank below the waterline wale.

Rock

Regards, Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been a while since my last posting. The work at the shipyard is progressing much slower than during my previous build, HMS Endeavor. I suppose since this build is a prototype and unlike my last build, which was earmarked as present to my sister, I do not have much pressure(?) in terms of time or duration of the build. Anyway, the below are some of the pictures on the latest progress.

I originally attached the waterline wale on the 5th plank. However, I realized that the wale was somewhat high up. Therefore, I took it off and reattached the wale on the 6th plank.

P1050740.JPG

P1050739.JPG

P1050745.JPG

P1050744.JPG

P1050743.JPG

Regards, Rock

As I do not plan to do 2nd planking above the waterline wale, I tried out the dyeing of these planks. I think I will need to do more trial and error until I get the color that I like. But, for the time being, I will leave it as is and see later on how the color looks with the overall color of the hull.

P1050746.JPG

P1050749.JPG

P1050751.JPG

P1050752.JPG

Regards, Rock