Whaler copper weathering

I am currently building Kate Cory and Chas Morgan. I’ve read many of the posts on copper weathering, but have a specific question. The pic below is from ModelExpo catalog of Morgan. I really like the look of this copper hull. I don’t think this model is, however, from the kit … maybe a prototype. Certainly not the copper tape included in the kit. 

My question:  Does anyone know what the coppering/weathering technique on this model is?  Or, any guesses?

Thanks. 6F75D8D7-B495-45B0-BB18-EBE0105CBDA0.thumb.jpeg.db76009e2f16bf8915f97915063070dd.jpeg9B867AF1-07F1-4EE8-9E25-9E11855007EA.thumb.jpeg.1faafbcfdaa2eced79b2a22ddc909c76.jpeg

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

I suspect that the model in the pictures was built by Eric Ronnberg. Way back in the late 1970’s he wrote an article in the Nautical Research Journal about coppering ship models.  The article includes photos of several coppered ships including whalers.  The article discusses the “mottled effect” that interests you.  I vaguely remember that he produced it by heating and quenching the individual sheathing pieces.

You should be able to be order an inexpensive reprint of the article from the NRG office.  Look for it on the article search function on the NRG website.

Roger

It almost looks like the sheets of copper were individually treated with liver of sulphur of various degrees of dilution. 

Not to dispute Mr. Romberg, if it be he who built it, but to my eye the bottom of that model ship doesn't look anything like a real coppered bottom. Certainly, new plates hung in the drydock would appear as portrayed by the "new" copper plates, although plates wear more at the waterline than anywhere else. 

This is what a real newly coppered bottom looks like:

See the source image

This is what a coppered bottom looks like when it has been in the water for a while, the upper picture of Constitution is after she'd had some time to dry off and the lower one is as the dock had just been pumped out. Note in the latter picture the dark mottled "weathering:"

See the source image

See the source image

For a coppered bottom on a model to look like it should, care needs to be given to remain true to scale. At scale viewing distances, the model's bottom would have to be nearly flat with only paper-thin plate of the proper scale size if one were working in a scale where the thickness of the plate edge could be discerned at all. In my opinion, if the scale doesn't allow for "plate" material of the proper scale thickness to be seen on the model, it's better not to try to show individual plates. A "weathering" job would provide the more accurate portrayal.

The eye likes what the eye likes, Steve. Personally, I think R's version looks a bit jarring. For another approach watch this YouTube video by our member Ohla. I think it's beautifully done.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Dvm27:

Thanks for that video link. 
Breathtaking!

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

The subject of the colour of copper-plating seems to popping up over and over again. In seawater, copper turns to a dull brownish colour. It is only out of the water that copper turns green - if there is sufficient sulfur dioxide in the air.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg