HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Kusawa2000 (Mike Draper)

Looking very nice, Mike!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

12 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Great start to your planking adventure! Boxwood will look great.

Thanks.. as Chuck has said a few times before.. dont rush.. take  your time.. 

and yes.. I agree.. the boxwood will look really good. I going to have to see if I use wipe on poly as a finish or tung oil. I will have to experiment on some waste wood first.. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

8 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Thanks.. as Chuck has said a few times before.. dont rush.. take  your time.. 

and yes.. I agree.. the boxwood will look really good. I going to have to see if I use wipe on poly as a finish or tung oil. I will have to experiment on some waste wood first.. 

Mike Draper

The little bit of boxwood that I have worked with has turned out lovely with a good sanding and just WOP. I’m very tempted to do my next build in boxwood. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

The little bit of boxwood that I have worked with has turned out lovely with a good sanding and just WOP. I’m very tempted to do my next build in boxwood. 

thanks for the heads up! I will probably lean in that direction but i thought i would give tung oil a try...

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Planking becomes a way of life for a while, enjoy the journey. Looking nice!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 3 months later...

Everyone: Its been a while since my last post. With the snow gone and into summer, been busy trying to get firewood cut and projects done. I have managed to get the upper planking above the wales completed on the Winchelsea. I do love that boxwood I am using for the hull planks! its a joy to work with!

I havent added any sealant yet but once I get the hull planking I will be giving it a few coats of Tung oil.  

I have also managed to get the starboard planks marked using the plank template guides. Will get the port side done tonite and start thinking about planking that hull. Been doing a lot of measuring twice, cutting once. I hope it pays off when I get into the planking. As I imagine everyone has discovered who has tackled this project, I have quickly noticed there is pretty low tolerance for measurements being slightly off.. I have been taking my time.. 🙂

Also.. thanks to all those that did a great job documenting their construction process. Your photos and posts have saved me some grief.. 

Mike Draper

IMG_20230613_075309906.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada