Fitting of combined lift and sheet blocks to the yard.

DaveBaxt

I am now more or less ready to start on fitting pendants and various rigging to the yards and wondered how the best/easiest way to attach the lift and sheet blocks to the yard? Any tips on how to achieve this or any links to previuos threads would be great.I have managed ok to attach lift blocks without the sheet blocks by seizing two loops then tightening  up around the block and yard but although I am probably won,t fit sails  on this model I would still like to attach the correct blocks/ rigging that is authentic. Thank you and best regards Dave. P.S. Another question I can,t seem to answer when rigging the yards is the position of the lifts and braces. Are there any rules as to where these should be place on the yard. Which one of these is generally the nearest to the end of the yard or is this different for different yards?

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Is this for Endeavour 1768?  The reason I ask is that there were four variations over the years 1650 to 1806.   Same goes for the lift blocks on the caps.   There are a ton of details in Lees and probably a number of other places for each era.  There is more than what I think a reasonable amount in Lees book that I can copy here.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

What kind of literature do you have? For ENDEAVOUR, Lever or Steel should give you some indications.

This is the link to a 1843 edition of Lever, but I don't think the plates have changed since the 1st edition: https://archive.org/details/youngseaofficers00leve

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

yes it is for the Endeavour but do not have Lever or Steel and also AOTS but do have the lees book but as yet I have not been able to find what I am looking for but will take another look .I have looked at a few builds of the Endeavour and most of which  show the Brace pendents outside of the yard arm and the and lifts on the inside . I am assuming, as the braces have larger ropes and blocks and therefore assuming have the greater forces this would make sense .ie the greatest leverage At least my way of thinking but correct me if I am wrong. Most drawings I seem to find have the braces and lifts on different pages/sheets and show them in similar positions. Thanks again for your quick response. Kind Regards Dave

4 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Don't look at other peoples' projects, look into the reference books, that's a much safer option. Other people might have just guessed ...

Wise words!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Bruce,

I don't know if the technique I use is "correct" or not, but it gets the job done in a fairly tidy way.

First I seize the lift block in the centre of a piece of line.

Then I bring one of the free ends up, forming a loop and seize it to itself as well as the other line about 1/4" or so below the first seizing. This creates a gap in the middle for the sheet block and a loop at the bottom for the yard.

I place the sheet block in the centre gap and snug the second seizing up against it, then place the bottom loop over the end of the yard and pull on the two ends of the line to draw it tight around the yard.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

David

img011.jpg.bea76531a74d53afb1970da0f41ed93d.jpg

Edited by David Lester

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Thank you David, that is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for and looks like a pretty good way of doing it. Best regards Dave

Hi Dave,

Good! Sorry, I called you Bruce instead of Dave. I mistakenly referred to the post directly above mine.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

... and for a moment I thought I had dozed off again!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

5 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

I have not been able to find what I am looking for but will take another look

Sorry, I was not sure exactly what you were looking for Dave.  What I was referring to is on pages 68-69 in Lees.  He gives both drawings and text descriptions.   He does not give a "how to" though, which would really be nice to see.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

10 hours ago, allanyed said:

Sorry, I was not sure exactly what you were looking for Dave.  What I was referring to is on pages 68-69 in Lees.  He gives both drawings and text descriptions.   He does not give a "how to" though, which would really be nice to see.  

Allan

Cheers Allan. I found part of what I am looking for from the pages you gave me annd another part on Andersons book 'The Rigging of Ships' I got a very good reply from David Lester on the How to. I would just like to thank everyone for their replys. Best regards Dave

12 hours ago, David Lester said:

Hi Dave,

Good! Sorry, I called you Bruce instead of Dave. I mistakenly referred to the post directly above mine.

David

I know the feeling and have done this a number of times myself. There are an awful lot of Davids on here too, which dosn,t help Ha ha