Furled sails

DennisL
Go to solution Solved by Dziadeczek,

I am in the process of building Vanguards model of the HMS Speedy.  I would like to add sails to my model and will be using silkspan to make the sails.  I would like to show some sails furled while others unfurled.  Here's my question. In my research I have seen some models with the sails furled from the afterside of the sails while most pictures of actual vessels show the sails furled up on the forward side of the sails. Darcy Lever's sketches are not really that clear on how it was done. The blocks would have to be mounted on the forward side of the spar to do this yet many diagrams show the blocks mounted on the aft side. Is there a right way to show this? Or did it vary depending on type of ship, period, etc. Thanks for any help in clarifying this.

Hi,

I too am building a model with sails attached. Very tedious and time consuming work! See the link below (post # 80):

However I used thin cotton fabric - beige muslin, instead of silkspan, because I wanted to actually sew my sails and model all details on them, and with silkspan it would have been nearly impossible due to the thinness of a material. I show a sail configuration, known as "brailled up", that is only partially raised sails, instead of fully furled. I thought that fully furled sails would look too invisible, thightly wrapped up on the yards. On the other hand, fully unfurled sails would obscure some details on the decks and masts. So, I chose a compromise.

Far from being an expert on this topic, I think I partially succedded with this detail, but I accept it, it is good enough for me...

I think that the particular locations of all blocks, deadeyes and other details of running rigging, were on both, forward and aft sides of the sail, depending on the type of a ship, the time period and nationality of the vessel. These things varied considerably. See detailed instruction of your particular vessel. I am lucky that Mr. Boudriot was soo nice to include those details in his books, so I rely on him.

Happy modeling!

Thomas

Edited by Dziadeczek

Most ships (from the 1700's  on) sails were bent to a jack stay mounted on top and a little to the front of the yard.  The sail itself hangs in front of the yard. The sail is furled up in front of the yard and is bundled up into a tight roll on top of the yard.

Bunt line and leech line blocks hang before the sail, while the sheet line quarter blocks, clew line blocks and reef tackle blocks hang abaft.

Footrope stirrups hang aft of the yard, also.

Regards,

Henry

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Sometimes when in port the sails were partly unfurled and hanging loose to allow them to dry. This is another option for modeling.

13 hours ago, popeye2sea said:

Most ships (from the 1700's  on) sails were bent to a jack stay mounted on top and a little to the front of the yard.

Hi Henry,  This seems about 100 years too early for jackstays.

From David Lees' The Masting and Rigging British Ships of War 1625-1860, page 159

1811 Introduction of jackstays on the yards.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Sorry to jump in..how was the mizen sail furled?

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

9 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Henry,  This seems about 100 years too early for jackstays.

From David Lees' The Masting and Rigging British Ships of War 1625-1860, page 159

1811 Introduction of jackstays on the yards.  

Allan

Thank you, I meant to say late 1700's on.  But, even with that, the positioning of the blocks for the lines remains the same.

Regards,

Henry

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thank you everyone who responded to my question about furled sails.  Clearly the sails were furled from the front of the sail rather than from behind.  It makes sense to me as the sailors standing on the foot ropes would be facing forward and thus be reaching down over the yard.  I don't understand why though there are so many pictures of well built models with the sails shown being furled in the opposite direction.

Thank you Thomas for the suggestion of showing the sails in a "brailled up" position and the copy of the Boudriot sketch - it was very helpful.  I will be taking your suggestion on this and showing the sails in this position. I have used several layers of silkspan with the details drawn in to create the sails with decent success.  I find the material, especially when slightly moistened to be easier to bend into shape on smaller scales. (see photo).  By the way I saw your post #80 as referenced and your model looks incredible!  Is it scratch built? Congratulations on a beautiful build.

I plan on building the HMS Speedy as originally launched in 1782.  I will be including the crows feet on both the Fore & Main Mast so I believe I will be attaching the sails directly to the yards rather than using jackstays which I think would have been used later on than the 1780's.  I have included a current picture of where I am at with the Speedy.  I used Chris Watton's gun crew and marine figures which are incredibly detailed. 

2021-07-07 10.00.16.jpg

pxl_20221121_141259119.jpg

6 hours ago, DennisL said:

....By the way I saw your post #80 as referenced and your model looks incredible!  Is it scratch built? Congratulations on a beautiful build...

Thanks! I am glad you like it.  😃

Yes, the entire model is scratch built. Right now I am slowly finishing all square sails, next will be stay sails.

Happy Holidays!

Thomas