Planking - Basswood Question - moved and retitled by moderator

I have one of five hundred limited editions of a kit from BB and it comes with Obeshi planking for the hull.

This material is very soft and useful especially when adding a second planking to it..

As for this kit waiting, it will be even more elaborate .... ....  hopefully the idea of might work.

Just as i say, .... may work.

Results will show.

Use the Obeshi wood, as for the first layer of planking. then adding wood of your choice ...second layer is the thin option of wood.

Looking forward to see more of your progress.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I think many of the Model Shipway kits (Model Expo's line) use basswood for planking.   There's a lot of beautiful work here using those kits.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Basswood is fairly standard in ME kits. It's biggest problem is it is very soft. It is easy to work on especially sanding as one of the other members mentioned.  It also can be readily bent after soaking in water. It stains nicely unless you do not properly clean up excess glue on the surface. That can be easily accomplished by scrapping or rubbing with a q-tip soaked in acetone or Isopropanol depending on what glue you used (CA or PVA). Some folks subtitute better woods for key areas where color or hardness would be beneficial.

Best

Jaxboat B)

All of my boats are about 95% basswood.  Frames, planking, decks, cabins, masts, and on and on.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

It's ok to use. But beware it stains if you have dirty fingers. And I guess with a stain over the top of it will finish it nicely.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Wow, thanks very much for all the prompt answers, I am currently scratch building the "Joffre" (steam powered British tug) Just about ready to begin the planking which will be painted so I would think Basswood will be fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Jaxboat,

You mentioned "... acetone or Isopropanol depending on what glue you used (CA or PVA)."

Just to make sure, it is acetone for CA and Isopropanol for PVA?

Richard T.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren