OSEBERG ship by Shipphotographer.com - Ships of Pavel Nikitin (Ukraine) - Scale 1:25 (15/32" = 1') - Length: 865 mm ( 34 3/34 inch)

I just opened a box with a new kit from the Ukrainian manufacturer "Ships of Pavel Nikitin". And just delighted with it. The whole ship is made of different types of wood (alder, beech, walnut) and no plywood or MDF...

001-OSEBERG.jpg

002-OSEBERG.jpg

003-OSEBERG.jpg

004-OSEBERG.jpg

005-OSEBERG.jpg

006-OSEBERG.jpg

007-OSEBERG.jpg

008-OSEBERG.jpg

009-OSEBERG.jpg

010-OSEBERG.jpg

011-OSEBERG.jpg

012-OSEBERG.jpg

013-OSEBERG.jpg

014-OSEBERG.jpg

015-OSEBERG.jpg

016-OSEBERG.jpg

017-OSEBERG.jpg

On 1/15/2023 at 8:01 AM, Michael Mash said:

Hello Olha,

Looking forward to watching your work with this Viking ship.

And .    .    .   of course .    .    .    it is always good to have Imbir's approval.

Mike

Thank you Mike
Yes, I definitely can't build anything now without Ibir)))

• 4 weeks later...

Pulling up a seat.  Chris, pass the popcorn.  :cheers:

Another fine offering from Pavel.  At 34 inches, this will be bigger than Imbir.  I am looking forward to the build.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Olha,

Oseberg has been on my list of future builds.   The version of Oseberg from Pavel Nikitin  looks really good.     This may be my next build.   Looking forward to following your build.

Excellent unboxing video.  Really first rate.

john

Edited by John Gummersall

16 hours ago, John Gummersall said:

Olha,

Oseberg has been on my list of future builds.   The version of Oseberg from Pavel Nikitin  looks really good.     This may be my next build.   Looking forward to following your build.

Excellent unboxing video.  Really first rate.

john

Thank you!
But I want to finish my carrack first, because I don't have space for Oseberg)))

I have the Billing 1:25 kit in stash, which has some very good aspects to it.  Yet Pavel's version (also 1:25) has some really good aspects:  like MUCH better shields - I love the little shield bosses that come in the kit, and making/decorating each shield is like its own 'little kit' within a kit.  The same is true for the sea chests used as seats to down on.  Seriously, the rowers didn't sit with their butts on the deck.  The woods Pavel uses are nice, whereas the Billing kit is all plywood (I've considered bonding walnut veneer to the sides that will show).  Pavel also has a flatter deck amidships in the vicinity of the mast fish.  Having served aboard a reproduction Knarr a few times over 3 years (building a 12' Viking dinghy in the process), having a big bulge in the deck amidships would be very inconvenient - not just for movement fore and aft, but also for rowing.

I believe the deformation of the original grave ship due to settling under tons of earth exaggerated any 'bulge'  (there may have been some close to the 'fish').  If money is no object, one can buy BOTH kits and incorporate the best aspects of each into a fine project indeed !  On a similar note, I came upon a Lindbergh plastic Robert E. Lee kit recently at a rock shop (of all places - must have been in a relative's stash) and snapped it up to compare with the Scientific wooden kit of the same riverboat that I already have.  Son of a gun, both hulls turn out to be EACTLY the same length and width, ergo the models (despite some discussion elsewhere as to exactly WHAT that 'real' scale of either kit is) are the same scale.

There are positive aspects to BOTH kits, and since each was affordable at $60 each, the plan is to eventually combine both (perhaps with the aftermarket laser cut wood decking available for the Lindbergh -also sold under the PYRO brand) and get the best of both worlds by using whatever individual component is best.

Edited by Snug Harbor Johnny

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just ordered this Pavel Nikitin kit but haven't received it yet.  Can't wait, this looks like a fantastic kit.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner