Golden Hinde 1578 by Ferrus Manus - FINISHED - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC - English Galleon

Back to the flags. This is the screenie i took of the Google Doc with the flags, scaled as they are to be on the ship. 

Screenshot2023-02-212_08_07PM.png.efd970b6d2c97c25fb0942116476fe27.png

The mizzen flag was inspired by this modern drawing of the Golden Hinde vs. the Spanish galleon Concepcion:

the-spanish-galleon-nuestra-seora-de-la-concepcin-aka-cacafuego-captured-by-sir-francis-drake-aboard-1579-from-the-book-of-ships-published-c1920-PAYGD7(1).thumb.jpg.098a540b3e6987c5d67b1cc00cf712c7.jpg

The Golden Hinde is on the right, but you could probably already tell which ship was which by looking at who has a gigantic picture of Mary on her stern, and who doesn't. 

Anyway, the Golden Hinde has the flag on a stern flagpole, instead of on the mizzen truck. This flag is a decorative naval ensign composed of a bunch of stripes with a St George's Cross in the corner. I elected to do the same thing, but put the flag on the actual mizzen mast. 

I'm listening to Red Water, which, considering my history with mental issues, is a song i probably shouldn't be listening to, but who cares. 

I measured the flags, and they will easily fit on the trucks. I am not doing the tissue paper method because i don't really want to use my dad's dinosaur laptop (which he refuses to replace even though it barely works) any more than i have to, because that's the only computer in the house that connects to the wireless printer. So, i just went full send and printed the flags on regular paper. The tissue paper method, while i want to try it, can wait til next time.

The one thing is, i will simply wrap the flags around the trucks instead of tying them with thread as i don't want to break the fragile pieces. One of the things Baker did right was to make the trucks bigger around, to prevent breakage. My hope is that the royal standard will cover up (and protect) a chronic breakage on the main truck. 

As per many contemporary (or near-contemporary) depictions, (like this one, as well as those above) streamers or pennants were flown not only from the trucks of a ship, but also from the fore and main tops.

12623.webp.9960ec51b52ec310021f9670458e0618.webp

Thus, i have a question that i need answered before the ship is done: Should i add pennants hanging off the fore and main tops? 

9 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

Thus, i have a question that i need answered before the ship is done: Should i add pennants hanging off the fore and main top

If I were you, I wouldn't do this.
But, I'm not you 😉

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

A very nice model.

Congrats 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I still have no idea how to change the titles on these things. 

9 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

So, what's next?

Probably the IMAI 1/100 Spanish Galleon. Kirill isn't gonna be happy when he sees me molest the same kit he built perfectly. 

6 hours ago, Baker said:

A very nice model.

Congrats 👍

Coming from you, especially, this is quite a high award. I will proudly wear it. 

9 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Very nice. I've enjoyed following this build.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Great work, Ferrus, and congratulations on crossing the finish line with this one!

I could not have completed this build to the standards i did without you. The advice and support given by all who stuck with me was immensely valuable, and i could not have done it without you. I found a nice deal on eBay for the Spanish Galleon, and it's coming from the states! That means less in shipping. Assuming the guy responds to my offer, it could even be on my doorstep by the end of the month. 

I should probably make the build log before i start, this time. 

11 minutes ago, Ferrus Manus said:

I still have no idea how to change the titles on these things. 

Titles can only be edited in the first post of a topic by clicking 'edit' within the 'more options' menu (the tree dots in the upper right of any post).

image.png.f0e8dab43f68bf2818b359fbf2c3ff19.png

image.png.5edeb49e56f4bf9d24fd24312fbde01c.png

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Guy accepted an offer for 95 bucks. Not quite a lowball for what i think i am getting, but for how much this kit sells, it sure is.

As always, i will have to make considerable modifications to accommodate the rigging. 

It will be nice to deal with a kit without flash, though. Unlike Kirill, i will be making a "1607" galleon instead of an Armada era ship. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

2 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

If only i had done the work do build scratch gun carriages. 

I think the gun carriages you have look nice and may be appropriate for the Golden Hinde.

Good day,

My Congratulations with completion  your Golden Hinde! 

All The Best ! 

Kirill