1/24th Scale Wooden Barrels - Where from?

Go to solution Solved by Chuck,

Thanks Chuck I didn't know that you made barrels and they look excellent - I've just ordered 6 of them from you.  I just need to think of a way to make withy bands.  Maybe rope would work I don't know.

Here's a question for you all though - were barrels stored upright or on their side in the hold?????????

You could just use wood.   Just rip a very very thin piece of cedar or boxwood.   Use that instead of the black bands which are laserboard.    Or even just paint the laserboard to match.

32 minutes ago, No Idea said:

Here's a question for you all though - were barrels stored upright or on their side in the hold?????????

I may wrong but I am pretty sure powder casts were only stored in the magazine foward (and maybe in the hanging magazine aft on larger ships), not in the open hold.  If you are building a cross section model that is near midships, I am pretty sure there would not be any powder casks.    Depending on the era there were charcoal beds in the magazine area on which powder was stored to absorb moisture to aid in keeping the powder dry.   As to upright or on their sides, I believe that the barrels below the orlop and platforms were usually on their sides, but the powder casks in the magazines may be a different story.   

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks Allen - Le Rochefort was designed and built to move powder from the shallow port to the fighting ships anchored in deeper water.

That is why her hold has very specific design features such as a fully planked interior which was also caulked.  The hold deck beams are another unusual feature as I understand it as barrels were normally placed straight on top of the ballast.

She also has water tight hatches and the crew had specific instructions regarding the use of the on board stove.

The main deck beams are not supported by knees but instead uses a deck shelf which is attached to the deck clamp to give it strength.  This was to improve the capacity of the hold itself. So moving powder was her main job and was designed to stay as dry inside as possible.

I think that you are correct in saying that the barrels would have been stored on their side and I think this is the way I would like to go.

Luckily I'm a non smoker so its going to be quite a safe ship with its dangerous cargo 🤣

Thanks Mark 

Mark,

What you have relayed makes sense.    Sorry, I missed what vessel you were building.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

14 minutes ago, allanyed said:

Mark,

What you have relayed makes sense.    Sorry, I missed what vessel you were building.   

Allan

Hi Allen - don't be sorry mate I really appreciate all of the time and information that you have given me.  I'm very new to historical ships and I have so much to learn.  Without this forum I would struggle to find out the information that I need :)