Scratch built chainplate

Does anyone have a recommendation on what gauge wire to use for making chain plate for a 1:85 scale ship?  I plan to use brass wire and use a brass black product, and avoid having to paint it.  This will be my first attempt at soldering also.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

What ship/year/nationality? 

I scoured my books but cannot find a chart so far on the chain link diameters for various size deadeyes, etc, but the following pic from RMG may help you.  If the below deadeye was 12" real world the link material diameter would be ABOUT 1.25" so at a scale of 1:85, the diameter of the wire for the links would be about 26 or 27 gage.

Give consideration to the shape and lengths of the chain plates as they varied quite a bit as well as the number links when the width of the channels changed a lot around the end of the 17th century and the channels were raised by a deck in the early 18th century.  

Allan

ChainLink.PNG.c5f4fcba5c6936d7530e417766e4969d.PNG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am building the Spanish Frigate Diana.  Built in 1792.  I found an image of a painting of the Santisima Trinidad and will attempt to fashion the chainplate similar to what is depicted in the painting.  The Santisima Trinidad was built about 20 years prior to the ship I am building but so far this image is the closest I can find for a Spanish ship.

Thanks

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Hi, I made chains out of wire and silver soldered them which was a first for me also. They were also blackened. It can be found in my Endevour build log which you would have to search for as it’s been many years since I updated it.

cheers

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

I just checked out your build log.  This will be helpful.  

Thanks.

Wolfram zu Mondfeld's "Historic Ship Models" (Sterling Publishing, Co., New York, NY, 1989) has four pages (134-137) of information and details about chain plates and how they changed over the years. I found this very helpful.

Taking a look at Allan's book "Scantlings", I found dimensions for Bindings of the deadeyes on pages 238-9.  There probably is not much difference in the diameter between British and Spanish practice.  A fifth rate of 34 guns would have had a binding of 1.5" fore and main and 1.25" mizzen.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Thanks Toni,

I looked in every logical book that I have except my own!

Doh.png.3e85ca223207be18994f9a8c48e2a509.png

Thanks again.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU