SS Tamahine by Richard Dunn - 1:48 - Commission

15 hours ago, Brett Slater said:

Lovely work, having never used fibre glass before i'll be interested to see what the process is. Presumably the mesh you've shaped over the hull is the "fibre" ?

Correct, it's quite a light weight 25gsm woven cloth so as to not add too much thickness to the hull, its planked with 2mm pine but by the time its sanded what you lose the glass puts back.
This is normal for glassing practice for small boat and canoe construction, after an hour of curing for the first coat, once its soft but setup you apply another coat and screed it on with a plastic or rubber blade to "Fill_the weave"

This is now done and ready for a light sand and priming with high build primer.

I did not need to fair this hull and fill and sand low spots at all because the 3d model was spot on and as such so were my frames.

This Easter is the horrible job of cleaning the glue out inside that squeezes out between the planks and glassing in between each frame.
If anyone has any interesting tricks or gadgets for this I am all ears.
I hope to have the Main Deck installed by Monday night.

• 6 months later...

I just realised I have not updated this.
This build has gone from commission to personal now and taken the back burner as the client  has run into financial trouble and of course this is not a priority in the eye of the creditors, understandable I suppose but anyway I will work on it myself, alongside the CS kit I am designing as it has many of the same things.

I did more work than I got paid for in the hopes that the  progress shots of a complete shell  would help to keep the project going once I heard the company were cutting costs, probably naïve of me to think it would change anything but the next job on this is laying the decks and will do that at same time as the Cutty Sark kit I am designing.
Never mind, I will come back to it.

Nice project Richard. Pity about the financial machinations I think you need a fairly punitive break clause in future contracts.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Yeah the second option fell through as well.
I can say now it was to the "Interislander" and I was proposing it goes in one of the new terminal buildings since Tamahine was the first purpose built one.

But alas they wanted it for free and also decided it was not relevant as it was not owned by the same line. Back then it was the Union Steam Ship Company and they went under in the 80's, if the first purpose built vessel for the run is not of historical relevance I don't know what is but ok... pretty narrow minded IMO but oh well.

Edited by Richard Dunn