SS Tamahine by Richard Dunn - 1:48 - Commission

I was reluctant to put up a build of this model for two reasons, first I hate having more than 2 models on the go and secondly I was pretty sure the client would not like it.
The Client in this case has agreed, provided I do not disclose anything about the cost, time and where it's going to be displayed.
As for more than 2 models we don't turn down paid work if we are lucky enough to get it so there we go.
I will post images soon but structurally this is almost built, with hull planking approaching the end.

This has been 3d modelled from actual builders plans and cut on the CNC from 4mm, 2mm and 1mm ply. Superstructure parts
DSCN9272copy.thumb.jpg.948359fe157c94574332fd74a2dedde2.jpg

DSCN9268copy.thumb.jpg.ec6526e8eb3610a575f6eac06d97b6a7.jpg

DSCN9269copy.thumb.jpg.f7970dd154d147f34c4ef55bde7fca61.jpg

DSCN9270copy.thumb.jpg.b69995ad5e0aca4fa11bba02ae0c35dc.jpg

DSCN9271copy.thumb.jpg.12cb01fedc70db43ff236678e80a61a4.jpg

And some later shots of lower superstructure assembled and planking well underway, almost ready for glassing

9 hours ago, Brett Slater said:

Very interesting subject beautifully executed. Could i ask where you obtained the plans from ?

Hi Brett
I do the cataloguing and sorting for the WCC archive in Wellington NZ and they hold all the plans.
Not complete but certainly everything you need including the Shell Expansion.

Hi, Richard!
Congratulations on starting a new project! This is a beautiful steamer and a wonderful scale for a model.

19 hours ago, Richard Dunn said:

I do the cataloguing and sorting for the WCC archive in Wellington NZ and they hold all the plans.
Not complete but certainly everything you need including the Shell Expansion.

Is this catalog publicly available?
I want to find drawing information for ss ARAWA (1884) type steamers.

ARAWA.jpg

3 hours ago, Valeriy V said:

Is this catalog publicly available?
I want to find drawing information for ss ARAWA (1884) type steamers.

The archive is mainly for Union Steamship Company ships as the company was based in that city.
I can ask though and find out for you.
Some of the plan sets have been uploaded now though as we are finishing them off.
Here is a  link to one of them as an example.

https://archivesonline.wcc.govt.nz/nodes/view/787341?keywords=marama&type=all&highlights=eyIwIjoiXCJtYXJhbW4iLCIxIjoibWFwXC9hbWEiLCIyIjoiXHUyMDFjbWFyYW1hXHUyMDFkIiwiMyI6Im1hcmFtYS4iLCI0IjoiXHUyMDFjbWFyYW1heiIsIjYiOiJtYXJhbWEifQ==&lsk=41d072a6db0af6c0f8dcfe3df303f3ce#idx618712

The closest ship to SS Arawa  that I know we have is SS Rotomahana which is coming.

9 hours ago, Richard Dunn said:

The closest ship to SS Arawa  that I know we have is SS Rotomahana which is coming.

Yes, all Union Company steamers from SS Aorangi (1883) to TSS Maunganui (1911) are of interest to me. 

This is exactly the period of shipbuilding that I am interested in.

https://archivesonline.wcc.govt.nz/nodes/view/120383?keywords=ss arawa&highlights=WyJzLnMiLCJhcmF3YSJd

https://archivesonline.wcc.govt.nz/nodes/view/120277?keywords=ss arawa&highlights=WyJhcmF3YSIsInNzIl0=

Often if there are photos there are plans but the age does concern me, I found Te Anau and Rotomahana in there but also found some of them at the Greenwich museum, sadly these are exorbitant prices, I think i pad $300AU for 4 plans.

I have sent an email to my colleague and should hear tomorrow.

Hull closed in on one side, I have blown out all the dust to show the fit of the planking, no bevelling was done, just nice thin 2 x 8mm strips.

DSCN9333.thumb.JPG.62e04b191b2099c824449f85dcf582c2.JPGDSCN9335.thumb.JPG.fb0637cc756e64042a7360e5832d2fbd.JPG

The following shows how the 1mm Bulwark is fitted into the gunwale rebate which itself was formed by laminating 2 layers of 1mm ply to form the shelf.
the frame extensions act as good firm formers for the bulwark so it stays at the correct flare as the hull is worked on and until its glassed.
In the forward most frame there is even some concavity to the form of the Bulwark and it forms to it with some steam.

DSCN9334.thumb.JPG.30b6cdbc6eaaeda9229e8f0f57c2a9ea.JPG

A .5 mm slot was milled into the stem before the keel was assembled to take the stem bar later, it can be seen at forefoot, it looks wider/darker at top of stem due to the bow not being fully shaped there as the feather edge will get damaged if I do it too soon.

On 3/29/2023 at 5:18 PM, Valeriy V said:

SS ARAWA  and his sistership SS TAINUI .

I will be very grateful to you if you learn about the drawings of these ships.  :) 

Hello Valeriy

SS ARAWA and TAINUI really were magnificent steamers, claimed to be the most beautiful ships in the world at the time.

The plans for these ships are held at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. They also have the builders half-model (in a mirrored case) although unfortunately it has suffered some damage, possibly during WW2. It's in storage, not on display. The plans (at 1:48 scale) are quite complete. I obtained copies of them (at considerable cost) for my father, who wanted to build a model of ARAWA. He started but didn't get far before he passed away, aged 90. The only problem with the plans are that the lines plan sheet is badly deteriorated and can't be copied. I got some photos taken and have redrawn them to correct for all the distortions caused by curling paper and parallax error from the photography.   Please feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Regards

Tony

Arawa  004.jpg

Arawa bow lines part 4 (2).jpeg

7 hours ago, Tony Hunt said:

Hello Valeriy

SS ARAWA and TAINUI really were magnificent steamers, claimed to be the most beautiful ships in the world at the time.

.........  Please feel free to PM me if you're interested.

Regards

Tony

Hello Tony!
Yes, this is the photo that fascinates me!

All problems with the lines plan are easily solved with the help of a graphic program. You did the right thing by photographing this drawing! :) 

I am already sending you a private message....

The hull is now closed in and sanded ready for glassing, that might be an Easter project I think.
I thought I would put up some images of the Superstructure in its simplicity, yes this all there is to it minus skylights and hatches etc, but a far as structure goes its sooooo simple.

The below shoes the deck after forming the promenade but its not fitted forwa4rd as currently the wheelhouse unit is temporarily screwed down to keep the camber.
The forward section is in the foreground.

DSCN9343.thumb.JPG.90e9efb98cf97f4dd7f52d614e608611.JPG

DSCN9345.thumb.JPG.2e2125b46c79e9ce139c8d0d50383b05.JPG

DSCN9344.thumb.JPG.fc4f8a27f6b78e4d19932d177ee53148.JPG

DSCN9346.thumb.JPG.09183e325cd758c1a1c82ca3621c33cb.JPG

Edited by Richard Dunn

Bulwarks glued into hull and frame extensions starting to be cut away.

DSCN9348.thumb.JPG.f36a44f282b16738f60f138443c358cc.JPG

DSCN9351.thumb.JPG.41840e6af0c36a1f957f3f5f9b917967.JPGDSCN9349.thumb.JPG.f679a87ee2e525574ec4ea50e6e8af9a.JPG

DSCN9350.thumb.JPG.4f26ed2552dcaf0f5ee05430ddbac127.JPG

Now the horrid job of cleaning up the glue from inside before glassing. which is being done to both sides of hull, hull will be plated with cooper shim

Edited by Richard Dunn

Ready to wet out in the morning.

What are peoples thoughts on plating materials?
On one hand copper  or the other Styrene sheet, I am thinking styrene glued onto the hull with Cyano since its lapped buts on both inner and outer strakes.

Much like the plating in RMS Titanic: A ModelMaker's Manual by Peter Davies-Garner

DSCN9353.thumb.JPG.ed5619e130adb1f77f7b78aa0d049181.JPG