Help on build of USS Constitution Wood Model.

Lee Jr

Hello, I am a new wood model builder. I am building the USS Constitution Wooden model. It is 1:74 scale model. I have built the USS Constitution in the Revel Plastic Model several times. This is a whole different animal here. I am not a wood worker and this is a struggle. This forum has helped me a lot. However, I am at the stage of building the bow and stern blocks. I cannot figure for the life of me how to do this. Which is what brings me here today. Is there anyone out there who could build these blocks for me? I would pay you to do this. This is beyond my skill set. I am pleading for help.

Lee Jr

Hi, Lee.

I think some additional information would be useful:

What kit is this?

Can you provide pictures of the area in question? (I suspect you may be referring to filler blocks.)

Where are you located?

If this is the Model Shipways kit, and you simply misreported the scale, you might have a two-fold problem. The first is that Model Shipways kit instructions often assume a certain amount of prior experience on the part of the builder, i.e. they will say "do this" but not tell you how to do it. The second potential problem is one you've already hinted at, namely that wooden models are not like plastic models. It's quite possible that you have simply bitten off more model than you can chew, in which case taking a break to build a less demanding model might be a wise option.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Chris is right.  Too many have jumped into a full blown 3 masted model for a first build.   Take a deep breath and re-think a bit about pausing the Conny and starting with something simple.   Model Shipways has a 3 kit series that starts with a small boat and builds from there.   You'll acquire the skiils as you go to be able to do the Conny.  And it's on sale!!!

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series-with-Tools-and-Paint_p_5290.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)