HMS Victory Corel 1:98 keel, frames, and longways beam

Hello, I am very new and yes jumped into the big 1:98 Victory deep end pool.  Trying not to drown.  I do understand the pieces are not cut exactly and some sanding is needed, however, I am looking at 1/4" of sanding... which seems too much.  

Frame 13 (white) looks to be too tall...or more likely too high when fitted to piece 17 (brown).  If I sand the cut outs of both I believe frame 13 will slide down to almost touching frame 12.  As it is quarterdeck 19 and 24 (top gap of piece 17) will not lay flat which is what I believe is correct.  I measured both frame 13 and piece 17 on ship plans #2 and #3 and the match the physical pieces perfectly, which is why I am a bit confused.  I thought the plans would be close to perfect.

image.png.28952e3d950d153522f7d00699bb5b57.pngimage.png.f52c0c8dd93474b3e83fafb7e50786d3.png

Second question about fitting.  Longways beams, should they fit to the bottom of the frame cutouts?  Or can their be a bit of open gap?

Frame on left is very very small gap, versus frame on right has a 3/16" gap.

image.png.3f7dd5aed6d6866832499cf5e2bcc3c4.png

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Jeff

Which manufacturer?    You might do a search in the build logs area for your particular kit and see what others have done.  The catch is that it could be either die cut or laser cut depending on when the kit was made.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

20 hours ago, Jeffhunt said:

I am very new and yes jumped into the big 1:98 Victory deep end pool.  Trying not to drown.

He Jeff

Your are not alone.   Not only did I do the same thing, I did it scratch as I could only afford the plans, not the kit.  In the end it came out well enough that I actually sold it for a reasonable price. Stick with it and it will come out fine.  If you do not have it, get a copy of The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships by Longridge as it has a WEALTH of information on building a model of the Victory and will help you immensely.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

How embarrassing, leaving off the manufacturer, but lots of stuff happens as we age.  Corel is the manufacturer. 

Mine is Die cut, I believe, as all of the pieces are fully cut out and independent.  Old plastic models the pieces were still attached to the sprues.  Is that how it is spelled?  I have seen some models where the laser cut pieces are still attached at points to a background non-used chunk of wood.

Thank you all for your replies.  I actually have two of these kits.  Bought them 30 years ago in England on my honeymoon.  The plan was to put them together simultaneously, learning steps on one then doing it better on the other.  Then in the end sell the one to pay for both.  Turns out life gets in the way, work, home work shops, wife, the usual suspects.  Retired now, so I have built a garage workshop and broke out the kits and we will see what happens. 

I built the Corel Victory approximately 25 years ago so I can’t really remember what I did in your situation. I’ve included a couple of shots of the rear deck which may help. Stick with it as she is a beautiful model when completed. 415D8C81-02FC-4900-89F3-7F62B46AC6A8.thumb.jpeg.3d9d9fe5fe66de9607cafbcca74f0f36.jpegC788BB36-C6C0-42A4-AF78-D1B4306EED1B.thumb.jpeg.5cf67aca30aabfe0a0ea00f6e214edea.jpeg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina