Perseverance 1807 by Isaiah - FINISHED - Modellers Shipyard - Colonial Brig

Fantastic build!! Can't wait to see your next one. Have you given any thought to what it might be? Hopefully, this will not be a solo venture. You have too much talent. I, too, hate walnut, and have been using cherry on my last few builds. That would you use in your next build if you could choose?

Have fun!

On 1/25/2024 at 12:45 AM, bigcreekdad said:

Fantastic build!! Can't wait to see your next one. Have you given any thought to what it might be? Hopefully, this will not be a solo venture. You have too much talent. I, too, hate walnut, and have been using cherry on my last few builds. That would you use in your next build if you could choose?

Have fun!

Thank you!

I’m not too sure on what my next build would be, I like the look of the Soleil Royale by Mantua or something similar.

One of the main reasons I chose the Perseverance was because it included the DVDs and beginner friendly instructions.

For my next one I’ll be more free to choose as I’ll know what I’m looking for and won’t have to constrain to certain things that I thought I needed.

I also didn’t know about the Modellers ship world forum before I started.

Edited by Isaiah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Foremast yards ready to be rigged to the foremast.

I am waiting on some dowel and cord for the main mast yards.

IMG_3593.jpeg

IMG_3594.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

Edited by Isaiah

On 2/17/2024 at 8:22 AM, Ferrus Manus said:

You should definitely do sails, which are not mentioned in the instructions. 

I have thought about sails. I’ve decided I’m not going to use them, as I personally like model ships without them.

On 3/18/2024 at 11:48 PM, Isaiah said:

I have thought about sails. I’ve decided I’m not going to use them, as I personally like model ships without them.

Personal choice. Either way has advantages and disadvantages,  but in the long run it's your build and your decision. Looking really good, by the way!

Steven

Upon reading the rigging instructions for your Perseverance, I can definitively say that you should have thrown them away and went with what other people have been doing on the rigging of their brigs. Soon, you will develop the instinct to know what correct/incorrect rigging looks like. 

At this point you're almost done with your brig, so I wouldn't have you change anything. However, for future reference, the rigging instructions for model ships are generally wrong, sometimes egregiously so. The rigging on beginner kits is sometimes simplified to the point of absurdity or complete non-functionality. 

Posted (edited)

I finished all the yards except the bowsprit yard. The main yards are an improvement over the fore yards I did first with a better overall quality.

Some things I’ve changed:

I’ve listened to you Ferrus and changed the belaying point for the boom lift, it can now swing freely without fouling.

I’ve added proper cleats for the davit lifts and made hanks. Should I keep the loops on the deck or hang them on the cleat?

As you can see I’ve broke the tiller off as I was never fully happy with the shape so I’ll redo that.

Tomorrow I’ll be doing lots of yard rigging.

Not sure why the photos are so bad, once I post them to the site they go blurry. 🤔

IMG_3639.jpeg 

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3635.jpeg

Edited by Isaiah